VMware Cloud Community
nragias
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is possible to find the old MAC address ?

I have a critical problem with an application because the licensing depends on MAC address of virtual machine. This MAC address changed when the vm transferd to another Host.

Do you know if there is a way to find the old MAC ?

Thank you

NR

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ItsMeHere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Though the previous replies are basically right, I would like to add that you will have to search your vmware*.log files or any occurrences of ethernetX.generatedAddress to find older MAC addresses used by the VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it should not changed as the .vmx file is still the same. anyway the only way is if there is an old copy of the VM, you can power up or view the vmx file. else i do not think there is any other way except email history for which the previous license file was generated (it could contain the mac address)

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Search the vmware.log file(s) in the virtual machine's directory for the word "MAC" and you should be able to find it.  Probably a long shot, but if you were using DHCP, you could also go and search the DHCP logs.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
ItsMeHere
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Though the previous replies are basically right, I would like to add that you will have to search your vmware*.log files or any occurrences of ethernetX.generatedAddress to find older MAC addresses used by the VM.

0 Kudos
nragias
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK guys I will search the vmware.log file and I will give you the feedback....

Thank you

0 Kudos