VMware Cloud Community
ebrodje
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issues with vMotion

Hi

Im having an issue with vMotion that i dont know how to resolve 1 of my VMs out of around 20 on a host cant be vMotion basically i get the following error message:

The target host does not support the virtual machine's current hardware requirements.

To resolve CPU incompatibilities, use a cluster with Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) enabled. See KB article 1003212.

3DNow! PREFETCH and PREFETCHW are unsupported.

1 GB pages are not supported (PDPE1GB).

MOVBE is unsupported.

FMA3 is unsupported.

CPUID faulting is not supported.

Supervisor Mode Execution Protection (SMEP) is unsupported.

RDRAND is unsupported.

Instructions to read and write FS and GS base registers at any privilege level are unsupported.

Half-precision conversion instructions (F16C) are unsupported.

Fast string operations (Enhanced REP MOVSB/STOSB) are unsupported.

XSAVE is unsupported.

XSAVE YMM State is unsupported.

XSAVE SSE State is unsupported.

PCID is unsupported.

Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) are unsupported.

So i tried to add this host to my cluster and i get "The host cannot be admitted to the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode. Powered-on or suspended virtual machines on the host may be using CPU features hidden by that mode." Which i understand is maybe that i need to have the VMs shutdown. The issue is that one of the VMs have my vCenter server on so i cant shut it down since then i cant add it to the EVC. How should i proceed ? Why is it only that specific VM that has this problem?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Powered off VC from one host which is not in cluster and register to the host which is having EVC enabled by accessing host through vphere client directly .

If you can share the exact your environment details , I can share you plan which will help you to enable EVC

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

EVC can be enabled if there is no VM on the servers , if any runing VMs there power off and migrate to another host

VMware vSphere 5.1

You can create an EVC configured cluster by referring below steps

Example with 2 ESXi host

1. Remove the Cluster (if you have already cluster )

2. Created New Cluster

3. Added One host

4. Configured EVC on that host (No VM in powered on state)

5. Later Added the Second host to Cluster

If  VC is virtual then , VC can be moved to EVC cluster by ( Powered off VC from one host and register to he host which is having EVC enabled by accessing host through vsphere client directly .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
ebrodje
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

The issue im having is that the host that i need to join has the vCenter Appliance and if i shut the VM down i cant do anything. Im also curious why only this VM has this problem i have 19 other VMs which i can migrate?

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Powered off VC from one host which is not in cluster and register to the host which is having EVC enabled by accessing host through vphere client directly .

If you can share the exact your environment details , I can share you plan which will help you to enable EVC

0 Kudos