VMware Cloud Community
mrj3ff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issues with installing or after simple install of vSphere Hypervisor

Hello,

I am just trialing vSphere hypervisor and have gone through the vCenter Installer. I have done the simple install. I recently took a class on hypervisor so I thought I would give it a shot with a testlab. So far, not turning out 100% great. After doing the simple install on Windows Server 2012, I go to log onto the vCenter Server appliance (5480) and get "This webpage is not available". It seems that I cannot access anything that has to deal with vcenter server. The only think I know I can access is the vSphere Web Client for managing the hosts, in which it tells me to connect to the vCenter server.....

I have installing all of this onto 1 virtual machine. Any suggestions? Please tell me if you need anymore info.

Thank YOU VMWare community.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you try to access the vCenter Server using its URL with port 9443 and the user name I mentioned in my previous reply?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Port 5480 is used for the administration of the vCenter Server Appliance itself, vCenter Server on Windows doesn't use this port. To access the vCenter Server Web Client use https://<vcenter-name-or-ip>:9443 and logon using the default user administrator@vsphere.local. This user has permissions to configure the SSO settings and set permissions for other users or groups on the inventory objects.

André

0 Kudos
mrj3ff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Andre,

after i have installed everything, i go and log into the vsphere web client. The first thing i see here is "to get started, either install a vcenter server system, or obtain access permission to an existing vcenter server system". This is after i have gone through the complete simple install. Do you have any suggestions? Would this be because vcenter server has not started yet? I read somewhere else about obdc issues. Not sure if that is correct. Currently, i feel as though i am walking in circles....:smileycry:

Jeff

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you try to access the vCenter Server using its URL with port 9443 and the user name I mentioned in my previous reply?

André

0 Kudos
mrj3ff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I use port 9443, it takes me to the vSphere Web Client... Unless, their is a way to access the vcenter server from the web client. Should I have specified the port to be different for the vcenter server?

0 Kudos
mrj3ff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I am an idiot. Went in circles with this and only because I used the wrong username.......Thank you for telling me twice what I needed to put! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos