VMware Cloud Community
UserByUser
Contributor
Contributor

Issues with RAID

Hello guys,

I'm having issues to install VMWare ESXi 6.5.0 on a HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen9.  I'm using a RAID1, but when i'm installing VMWare is shows 2 data storages and doesn't show the RAID1 that I created. What can I do?

12 Replies
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Are you using a software or a hardware raid controller?

Software raid controller B120i isn't supported MicroServer Gen8 B120i: Two RAID arrays - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community

raid controllers b410i or b420i are supported by VMware

Greetz,

Kevin

vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware from HP Certification and Support | HP®

Above link shows your model supported for ESXi 6.5. I think you are using hardware RAID. Check with HPE support in case of any update required.

UserByUser
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I'm using the Intelligent Provisioning HP system. So I guess i'm using a software raid controller, right?

0 Kudos
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, can you see which raid controller do you use in the Intelligent Provisioning HP system?

UserByUser
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using Dynamic Smart Array B140i RAID. i don't know if i'm doing something wrong or w/e. I already installed VM once with RAID1 and it worked. But now I can't install it.

0 Kudos
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When it works, what was the version of Vsphere?

Smart Array B140i is a software raid controller

• System memory used as read cache
  • Smart Array RAID engine running in OS driver
  • RAID functionality requires driver to be downloaded from HP website for Linux and VMware

What you can try is installing drivers Drivers & Software for HP Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller - HPE Support Center.

Please mark our reply's as helpful or answered, if above solved you problem Smiley Wink

UserByUser
Contributor
Contributor

As I checked, I was using "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6" and now i'm trying to use "VMware vSphere 6.5", does they have any big difference to not work?

0 Kudos
UserByUser
Contributor
Contributor

After downloading the drivers from HP site, I have to put it on a PenDrive and use the Intelligent Provisioning, right?

0 Kudos
kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First you must install the vib file on the ESXi server HPE Dynamic Smart Array Controller Driver for VMware vSphere 6.5 (VIB file).

Follow the instructions provided by vladan https://www.vladan.fr/how-to-install-vib-on-vmware-esxi/

Afther the install, reboot the ESXi server

kevinpower
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

did the last reply solved your problem?

0 Kudos
SilviuSTG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was facing the same Issue with ESXi 6.5 and the HPE Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller .

To Fix it you need to download this little utility to inject the Driver in the .ISO

Use ESXi-Customizer GUI to inject multiple driver VIBs into your ESXi installer ISO | TinkerTry IT @...

and the Driver:

Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

of cores also the : VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0.update01-5969303.x86_64.iso from vmware.com to inject the Driver in to.

It works for me!

0 Kudos
gbeaudoin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Notice: VMware - HPE Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller Is Not Compliant With Certain HPE Gen9 Platforms Running VMware ESXi 7.0

Any of the following HPE Gen9 platforms running VMware ESXi 7.0 and configured with an HPE Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller are affected:

• HPE ProLiant BL460c Gen9 Server Blade
  • HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Server
  • HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen9 Server
  • HPE ProLiant DL560 Gen9 Server
  • HPE ProLiant DL580 Gen9 Server

See https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00106849en_us

0 Kudos