VMware Cloud Community
Kameswara
Contributor
Contributor

Issues while installing ESXi 6.0

The OS installation starts, but gets hung during the initialization of the installer at “relocating modules and starting up the kernel”. This seems to be a common enough issue and I found many instructions to set “ignoreHeadless=TRUE” in boot options. I tried it but it is still hung.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you checked out this thread regarding on board video: Re: Loading ESXi installer issue " Relocating modules and starting up the kernel"

Without know your hardware setup though, this is a bit of a stab in the dark.

0 Kudos
akopbayev
Contributor
Contributor

Have you managed to fix the issue?

0 Kudos
Kameswara
Contributor
Contributor

Looking at the thread, will see if it helps.

0 Kudos
Kameswara
Contributor
Contributor

The hardware is UCS B200 M3 blade which is on the compatibility matrix.

BIOS settings have VT enabled, VT-d enabled and onboard vga preferred over offboard. Changing onboard video memory is not an option.

I tried the ignoreHeadless=TRUE option during installation. Still hangs.

0 Kudos
aguerriero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For UCS you should be using the Cisco OEM ESXi installer not the standard ESXi installer.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=ESXI600U1&productId=491&rPId=9642#custom_is...

0 Kudos
Kameswara
Contributor
Contributor

I am using a custom iso that has the necessary drivers. I was able to install the ESXi 6.0 image by attaching the image as virtual media and choosing to boot from there. But when I try to PXE boot , the installation hangs while loading the installation files at " Relocating modules and starting up the kernel".  PXE booting with the ESXi 5.0 or 5.5 installer works fine.

I'm using syslinux-3.82.Does anyone know if it is incompatible with ESXi 6.0?

0 Kudos