VMware Cloud Community
Omgosh32
Contributor
Contributor

Issues getting Adaptech MaxView to work on ESXI 6

So this is my first time using ESXI and I am having some troubles getting some things to work and getting some odd errors. I was able to install the hyper visor without issues on the system I built but once I got it up and running I have had some issues getting the server appliance to work consistently and as the topic states, adaptechs maxview manager. This is what I have done in order and where I am currently running into issues.

1. Installed ESXI 6, got client on PC working, connected ect. I had to install a .vib for my raid controller (ASR 6805) to pick up the RAID 50 inside my PC. After installing it, rebooting the system I was able to detect the logical drive and can now use it.

2. I than proceeded to install the server appliance, which goes fine, it installs, give static IP (no FQDN) and i start it up, login in, no errors. Reboot the server and it is fine. Perfect.

3. This is where things stop working. To install maxView I followed the instructions it provided (I am not sure is 6 is supported yet, documents only say 5.5), but I am trying. I required me to SSH in, put the system in maintenance mode, turn off the CIM agent and install 2 .vib packages I place on the server. I install both, reboot the server. I try going into the web client but I get these error I have attached below. If I just hit home it works, i can go places and do stuff but the error is un-easing.

4. So anyway, I make a VM version 11, put Windows 7 Pro on and install the MaxView client provided that is for ESXI. However, Maxview is unable to see any raid controllers. (Originally was giving me issues signing in). I also tried making the VM as version 10, same issue.

I did a lot of browsing on the web seeing if is related to the CIM agent since I believe that adaptech files I installed are in fact CIM providers (I have tried turned them off (reference: VMware KB: Disabling an ESXi CIM provider when it fails or is unstable ). So I am trying to figure out what that strange message i keep getting through the web client is and why maxview cannot detect the controller even though I followed the pdf to the letter (unless it really does not support esxi 6)

Thanks for any info and suggestions on the matter. I included the instructions from adaptech if anyone want to read more into what I have to do to make Maxview work.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Take a look at this post:

Adaptec arcconf raid monitor no longer working with Esxi 6.0?

Adaptec no longer works with esxi 6.0. I sent a request to their tech support and got this back:

Response By Email (Sandis Zviedrans) (04/23/2015 12:05 AM)

Greetings from Adaptec by PMC!

Thank you for your message. For the moment the maxView Storage Manager and Arcconf are not compatible with ESXi 6.x. In a couple of weeks time a new maxView Storage Manager version should be released officially and it will support ESXi 6.x.

Kind Regards,
Adaptec by PMC Technical Support

Its been a month and still nothing.

Arch

0 Kudos
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For the heck of it, yesterday I asked Adaptec for an update. This is their response:

Response By Email (Sandis Zviedrans) (05/28/2015 08:27 AM)

Thank you for your message. Initially the new release of maxView Storage Manager had to come out in the first half of May 2015. Though there were some delays in finishing the release, so for the moment we expect the new version to come out within the next 1-2 weeks time.

Kind Regards,

Customer By CSS Web (Arch Willingham) (05/28/2015 08:14 AM)

I asked this same question a month ago and got the same answer from y'all :"a few weeks".

Will it really come out on a few weeks?

Response By Email (Sandis Zviedrans) (05/28/2015 08:07 AM)

Thank you for your message. For the moment ESXi 6.x is not supported by the maxView Storage Manager's software. The next official release of maxView SM is expected to come out during the next couple of weeks. It should support ESXi 6.x. This applies to both: the GUI management tool and the CLI tool Arcconf.

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just noticed this weekend that Adaptec has posted the new drivers and the new cim drivers for esxi 6.0. They both work great!

0 Kudos
ddalton
Contributor
Contributor

can you post the link to arcconf for esxi 6 I cannot seem to find them

0 Kudos
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I as well cannot find maxView, cim, arcconf for ESXi 6.     The 5.5 stuff does not work with 6805E for sure.

0 Kudos
ArchParks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its working for me on a 6405 and a 6405e.

Install this:

"maxView Storage Manager for VMware 5.x and 6.x" found here: Adaptec - Storage Manager

"AACRAID Driver for VMware ESXi 5.5 & 6.0" found here: Adaptec - VMware ESXi 6.0

Arch

0 Kudos
Lennier
Contributor
Contributor

We have February 2016 and Maxview ist still not working correctly with 5.5

You allways have to Restart the CIM Service on ESX to get probably actual Data from the Adaptec Provider and you hardly can perform Management Tasks (even Locate Drive didnt work properly).

Also you cant Reboot you System, you need a complete Powercycle to see you Disks and Raids again.

I would prefer an other Controller, but LSI/AVAGO/Intel/etc. are not able to use SSD´s for Raids. I know that the Controller Techniques is from around 2010, but SSD was invented before and has nowadays a better lifetime than conventional Harddrives.

I cant find any realy modern Raid Controller on the Market and the varity of Brands has extremly shrunk, so i wounder why VMware is not going to provide us with the only usable RAID option nowadays: Intel Chipset Software Raid.

0 Kudos