VMware Cloud Community
cbensoncc
Contributor
Contributor

Issue with Guest OS(s) - Dropping Network Adapter

Hi,

All our Guest VM's are dropping the network Adapters.

Its intermittent.

Thanks for the help :smileygrin:

Chris

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert

If it is not extremely confidential, maybe you could supply some more info (i.e. ESXi-version, vNIC-type, VM-os, etc.)...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
deang1609
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As per cbensoncc response, there is not enough environmental information in regards to your issue.

There is an issue with the default network adapter for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 which uses E1000e type, where the vNIC will intermittently stop responding. My workaround for this was to use the VMXNET3 virtual network adapter types for my deployments on these operating system types to which the symptom was no longer experienced.

Again, this may not be relevant to your issue but see - VMware KB: Possible data corruption after a Windows 2012 virtual machine network transfer

Dean Grant Blog: deangrant.wordpress.com | Twitter: @dean1609 | GitHub: https://github.com/dean1609
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What do you mean by drop? Just a short network connection loss or complete disconnect. APIPA IP instead of static IP?

0 Kudos
nettech1
Expert
Expert

hi Chris,

Since you didn't mention your host hardware configuration, we are just taking guesses here.
Take a look at this http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN283398/EN if you happen to use Broadcom nics.

0 Kudos
nettech1
Expert
Expert

deang1609,

VMXNET3 should be your first choice on all supported operating systems, I know it's not the default adapter for Server 2012 or Windows 8, but the default selection is not always the best option.

using E1000e adapter you are missing out the 10GB connectivity and wasting resources since E1000e has much more CPU overhead compared to VMXNET addapter

0 Kudos
cbensoncc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

a little bit more info as requested:

ESXi Version: 5.5.0

Guest OS(s): Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012

Single Host

NICs Assigned to VMS: E1000

Multiple Issues:

Intermittent Network Drop Outs, Network connection stops working on Guest VM - Server requires restart to rectify problem.

Kind Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

"5.5.0" does not say anything about patches you applied. You forgot to mention build-number. So update to the latest level (if you did not yet), because I remember there were some patches fixing problems with e1000 recently.

And if possible do not use e1000 vnic. Use vmxnet3 instead. You will probably have to install wmware-tools to make it work (afaik w2k8 does not come with driver for it) but it is worth the effort...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
tedg_vCrumbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I Have not seen this issue with 2K8R2 but 2012R2 has produced the same results for us when using the E1000 adapter.

VMXNET3 is what you will need for 2012.  And the preferred adapter.

We had many instances of customers changing or using E1000 adapters with intermittent and random network disconnections. VMXNET3 solved thst for all cases.

------ tedg Don't forget to mark posts as helpful or correct if they deserve it!
0 Kudos