VMware Cloud Community
Scolpy
Contributor
Contributor

Issue when upgrading from ESXi 4.0 to ESXi 4.1 via vCLi

Hello!

I tried to upgrade my ESXi server from version 4.0 to 4.1, by this article:

But I got this error:

Please wait patch installation is in progress ...

Install operation failed:

SOAP Fault:

----

Fault string: The session is not authenticated.

Fault detail: NotAuthenticatedFault

After I ran:

+perl vihostupdate.pl --server [hostip|http://communities.vmware.com/community-document-picker.jspa?communityID=&subject=hostip] -i -b [update-file-name|http://communities.vmware.com/community-document-picker.jspa?communityID=&subject=update-file-name] -B ESXi410-GA-esxupdate+

How can I resolve that issue?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the community,

Not quite sure about the error message. However, try with specifying the full local path for the upgrade bundle (not only the file name)

e.g. perl vihostupdate.pl --server x.x.x.x -i -b c:\vshphere\upgrades\upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip -B ESXi410-GA-esxupdate

If you are still receiving the error please post a screenshot of the command window (as in the link you provided)

André

EDIT:

Please verify the MD5 checksum of the downloaded upgrade file!

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Add parameters : username & password

perl vihostupdate.pl --server [hostip] --username root --password [password] -i -b [update-file-name] -B ESXi410-GA-esxupdate

perl vihostupdate.pl --server [hostip] --username root --password [password] -i -b [update-file-name] -B ESXi410-GA

0 Kudos
Scolpy
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same error even I added those(username & password) parameters.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I already set the full path to the file and I also checked in the MD5 checksum and the file is okay.

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your error message

means that you're not authenticated.

You can test your authentication data using the following command

perl vihostupdate.pl --server [your hostip] -- username root --password [your password for root] --query

0 Kudos
Scolpy
Contributor
Contributor

I already tried this command before(you can see at the article), and I just got an empty output;

--

Bulletin ID
-
Installed
- -
Summary
--

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You get an error message immediately or after some time?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Strange...

Let's go back one step.

On which OS are you running the vCLI commands?

Did you install the latest version (vCLI 4.1) or do you run the commands from an earlier version?

Did you try to temporarily dissable any AV and firewall applications?

André

0 Kudos
Scolpy
Contributor
Contributor

1) Windows 7 Home Premium.

2) Yes, I installed the latest version.

3) No, I will try to temporary disable my Kaspersky PURE and I will update you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You get an error message immediately or after some time?

I wrote which error I got.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Scolpy
Contributor
Contributor

As I thought, even I disabled the Anti Virus & Firewall it's returned the same error.

0 Kudos
5FDP
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting this exact same error. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with vCLI 4.1. I am using the same vlhostupdate command. I tried adding the --username and --password parameters but I received the same error. The error doesnt come up right away either. From what I can gather, it takes over an hour for the SOAP Fault to appear. I too have disabled Firewall/Antivirus but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
STM256
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, i got the exact same error message. My ESXi is on a remote site, and i tried to upgrade from home on a 1mbit upload line which didn't work out so well.

C:\Program\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI>vihostupdate.pl --server 192.168.33.100 -i

-b c:\www\upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip -B ESXi410-GA-es

xupdate

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Install operation failed:

SOAP Fault:

-

I never tried the --username/password flags. But then i uploaded the upgrade file to a webserver which is placed in the same location as the ESXi. See below:

C:\Program\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI>vihostupdate.pl --server 192.168.33.100 -i

-b https://192.168.33.2/upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip -B

ESXi410-GA-esxupdate

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Host updated successfully.

This little change did it for me at least.

(I'm running a site-to-site VPN tunnel, that explains the private IP's.)

Scolpy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks man!

It's resolved that issue, but I got that error:

"Please wait patch installation is in progress ...

Invalid bundle ZIP archive, or missing metadata.zip inside.Bundle.zip : Error unzipping /var/tmp/cache/bundle-1364077293/upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip: File is not a zip file"

Anyone know how can I resolve that problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Make sure the downloaded package is ok by verifing the checksum.

ESXi 4.1 (upgrade ZIP from ESXi 4.0)

Use this package with vCenter Update Manager or with vihostupdate vCLI to upgrade ESXi (Installable and Embedded) from ESXi 4.0 to ESXi 4.1. 202M .zip

(md5sum:3397a58d7dc2f1be1e8eeee85d0d75c5)

(sha1sum:91e0110207217f3f6be6973346295ee82ed7912d)

http://www.vmware.com/download/md5.html

André

0 Kudos
r00tkit
Contributor
Contributor

Besides pulling the zip from a webserver any other way to handle this, cant use update manager here...

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It sounds to me that the upload is taking too long causing the session to time-out?

If transferring the ZIP to a remote site via FTP be sure to using binary transfer mode.

Screen-shots of the tasks view in the vSphere client whilst all of this is happening would probably shed some light.

http://blog.peacon.co.uk

Please award points to any useful answer.

Unofficial List of USB Passthrough Working Devices

0 Kudos
r00tkit
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds about right.

There are no errors or anything that says theres a problem even in verbose nothing said timed out. I looked at the spit out a few times trying to figure it out.

Saddly for me I cant use a FTP... all my VMs are on that one server haha... 😕

0 Kudos
r00tkit
Contributor
Contributor

Found a site with the zip available downloaded it did a md5sum then ran the update. Worked out OK for me. Now that my server is up ill upload it to a open folder for all. Guess this solution would work... rather a pain in the butt.

0 Kudos
Simon_H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had exactly this problem last night - it took nearly an hour to upload the 4.1 update over DSL & VPN and so must have timed out. I could see the .zip file in /var/tmp/cache from the TSM ssh console, but I couldn't find a way to tell it to install the already uploaded .zip.

In the end I copied the .zip over to a small NAS box I've got on the data centre LAN and made it temporarily visible through the management webserver on it, then ran:

vihostupdate.pl -i --server <ip> --username root --password xxx --bundle http://<nas>/path/upgrade-from-esxi4.0-to-4.1-update01-348481.zip

Interestingly it didn't seem to update the timestamp on the .zip copy in /var/tmp/cache, so it must have either decided it was the same, or uncompressed it straight from the HTTP stream. Straight away I could see new files being created (presumably as part of the unpacking) in /var/tmp/cache.

I see FTP is another alternative. I also tried specifying the local path on the ESXi host and it complained about it not being possible for local storage. It would be a handy feature (unless I've missed an option!) though for small vSphere client managed deployments as it would be better to upload the .zip file at our leisure, prior to going into Maintenance Mode. Next time I will be put the .zip file on the local webserver I think.

Hope this helps others a little...

Simon

0 Kudos