VMware Cloud Community
hitthebid
Contributor
Contributor

Issue creating new virtual machine with raw device mappings

In attempting to create a new virtual machine (VM v7), utilizing a virtual or physical raw device map, I get the following error "vmdk is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore". I searched for the error and found the VMWare KB article that states you need to have a block size on the datastore capable of supporting the size of the raw device map. The odd thing here is that the size of the LUN that I am using for the raw device map is only 40GB, and the block size on my datastore (which is internal storage) is 1MB. That should be plenty large to create a 40GB raw device map to my LUN on my CX300 SAN. Not to metion that I have used this LUN before on a different virtual machine and it worked fine. After deleting that virtual machine I removed the LUN from the storage group, refreshed ESXi, deleted the LUN from the RAID group, remade the LUN, rescanned for storage in ESXi, and tried to create the new virtual machine. ESXi has no issues seeing the LUN. Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong or what might be to blame for this problem?

0 Kudos
0 Replies