VMware Cloud Community
fyc3010
Contributor
Contributor

Issue creating a Win 8.1 Virtual Machine in Vshpere 5.1

Every time i try creating a win 8.1 vm in vsphere 5.1 it seems to can not find the  OS even though i know the iso is good.  Can anyone help me please?  I am banging my head against the wall.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you be more specific? 'It seems it cannot find the OS' what does this mean? Perhaps only Esxi 5.5 fully supports Windows 8.1 I know under 5.1 I can create a windows 8 machine, then upgrade it to 8.1 and it works.

0 Kudos
CedricAnto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have a look at this VMware KB: Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 Operating System does not boot or install on ESXi or ESX

If this does not help, please elaborate more on the sequence of events and at which point in time you are running into an issue

Cedric http://in.linkedin.com/in/cedricrajendran/ http://virtualknightz.com/
0 Kudos
grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

Please try through physical disc instead of ISO stored in storage.

0 Kudos
fyc3010
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting the error and i attached the image.  I burnt the iso to a disk and click on install to make sure it was working and it is.  I tried running it from to different iso's from my pc and the data store and i still get the same issue.  PS... one quick question, when i click on the dvd icon at the top and it shows me the dvd drives i can connect to is that the dvd drives on the server with vsphere or my main pc that i am connected from?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From where did you get the .iso file?  Have you tested that you can boot a physical machine from the same disc?  A drag-and-drop copy of the files from a Windows disc onto a new disc will create a disc that offers to install/upgrade when inserted into an existing Windows system, but a system will not be able to boot up from that same disc... there is much more to a bootable disc that gets missed out by a drag-and-drop copy.

Otherwise, please collect the vmware.log from the virtual machine's directory, and attach it to a reply here.  (Choose Use advanced editor when composing your reply, then attach the log file that way.)

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

some day back i had same issue... with installing win8 ..problem was my iso file..i have download new one and its working fine..

0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The dvd drive that you connect to is the dvd drive of the PC that you are currently on ( the PC that is running the vSphere client) Make sure the dvd is in your PC.

0 Kudos