VMware Cloud Community
rdlugini55
Contributor
Contributor

Issue Screen Scrolling Very Jumpy - How can it be improved?

Hi,

I'm using a Vsphere ESXi 5.5 Environment on 5 dell r720 Servers, Have setup 3 MS Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Servers, connecting to Wyse C10LE terminals.  When scrolling in documents the display screen does not do so clearly.  I've tried reducing the encryption level and security settings but still no improvement.  These are RDP Configured connections.  Running out of ideas and wyse is not much help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Virtual Hardware and VMware Tools are installed and up to date on the VMs? 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
rdlugini55
Contributor
Contributor

yes, they are installed and current

Message was edited by: rdlugini55

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

I'm in agreement with Ben ... sounds like VM Tools are missing.

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
rdlugini55
Contributor
Contributor

This is the first time I've configured this setup with MS RD Server.  I have about an average of 5 users per server.  the network is 1 GB to the desktop. The previous systems were running on 2008 Hyper-V.  I've created a new 2012 base server and installed the latest version of application being used and cloned them.

0 Kudos
rdlugini55
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.

Remigio Lugini

IT Administrator

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Is this happening in the VMware Console either snap-out window or the snap-in window in the vSphere client?

Or does this happen with RDP as well.

If it is only happening in the vSphere Client window try increasing the video memory on the VM by a bit.  I think by default it gets set to 2-4MB or something.  Just bump it to 32MB you should see a slight improvement as Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows Server 2012 have a more robust GUI which requires a little more video uuuumpf.

0 Kudos
rdlugini55
Contributor
Contributor

It happens only in the RDP sessions, the console and snap-out windows are stable.  I've tried increasing video memory to 20 MB Ram on 1 of the servers and no difference or improvement.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

That's strange, I have never had an issue with RDP, it usually is the console windows that are choppy for me.  Is there any networking issues or latency issues within the network that you have to deal with?

0 Kudos