VMware Cloud Community
RotoVegas
Contributor
Contributor

Issue Mounting Datastores in ESX 4.1

I've installed VMware ESX 4.1.0 (build 260247) on an HP DL585 server. I have the server connected via fibre channel to our SAN which contains two datastores, one for data and one for images/templates. These were in use previously and I want to retain the data and keep the existing signature for both.

I've mounted the first datastore successfully. However when I attempt to mount the datastore for images/templates it only displays the option to format the disk:

untitled.JPG

Why are the other options greyed out?

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you from RotoVegas in New Zealand.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

there should actually be no need to mount the datastore through the wizard. Did you already run a rescan (including VMFS) on the HBA (Configuration -> Storage)?

André

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a VMFS partiton created on that store already? If not, you must create it to use it as a datastore.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
RotoVegas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

I ended up cloning the datastore for images/templates on our SAN and for whatever reason the full list of options was available for this cloned instance only. The original datastore still has the options greyed out. This is being used for a new development environment we're creating so having seperate datastores isn't an issue.

Thanks again from RotoVegas in New Zealand.

0 Kudos
leejb
Contributor
Contributor

Just FYI (hopefully to push those looking here over to another thread)  I have the same issue.  Per a suggestion, I was able to manually mount the volume via line command, but am still hoping there is a through GUI/Config procedure to correct this w/o migrating/recreating the volume.