VMware Cloud Community
quarkever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there Anyone who know what kind of GPU(Intel or AMD based) supported in vSphere 5.5?

In What’s New in VMware vSphere® 5.5 Platform.pdf

that said With vSphere 5.5, vGPU support has been expanded to include both Intel- and AMD-based GPUs.

Is there Anyone who know what kind of GPU(Intel or AMD based) supported in vSphere 5.5?

(ex. Nvidia Grid K1, K2, Radeon 7990 etc..)

0 Kudos
11 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Since its a vGPU, we can find it out by installing a Guest and looking at the hardware driver in dev manager or lspci

I am checking with one of my setup where I installed 5.5. But having a "little" trouble for nics to be recognized. Will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please use the guided search wizard (compatibility) to get the full list of supported devices for all the VMware partners.

~dGeorgey

0 Kudos
quarkever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2.png

I tried it too, but there is a same message below

Sorry, there were no IO Devices matching your search criteria. Please refine your search and try again.

and Guided Search Wizard 's result is also same..

0 Kudos
AIXI
Contributor
Contributor

There is a vsga compatilibility list under the "What are you looking for" option, right now is the same that it was with esxi5.1, I guess that it will take time for the manufacturers to provide certificate drivers(the current ones also need a vib to work even they are on the compatibility list)

Here is the direct link:

VMware Compatibility Guide - Virtual Shared Graphics Acceleration (vSGA)

0 Kudos
quarkever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I saw also that.

Is that mean there isn't any other gpu certified by VMware except Nvidia K1, K2?

0 Kudos
kingsteve82
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I've been able to tell, it's NVIDIA only for vSGA support, but you can run AMD cards in passthrough mode to a VM if you are looking to dedicate it to a VM. My hope is that an AMD driver .vib bundle is released, similar to NVIDIA, that we can install to use their cards for vSGA support, as it's a bit less complicated to manage that way.

quarkever
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so, organizing,,,

Currently, vSGA only supported by NVIDIA only.

And vDGA support AMD or Intel based GPU, but there is no list of certified right?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

• In vSphere 5.1 VMware only supports NVIDIA GPU. In vSphere 5.5 support for AMD and Intel GPU’s is added. Three rendering modes are supported: automatic, hardware and software.
  • The ability to vMotion a virtual machine between different GPU vendors is also supported. If hardware mode is enabled in the source host and GPU does not exist in the destination host, vMotion will fail and will not attempt a vMotion.
  • added Microsoft Windows Server 2012 guest clustering support
  • AHCI Controller Support which enables Mac OS guests to use IDE CDROM drives. AHCI is an operating mode for SATA.
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

That is not entirely correct, Intel GPU:s are not supported in vSphere 5.5. There was a typo in the Whats new-deck.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi, for desktop virtualization, are following GPUs in vsphere 5.5. supported.

• AMD
    • FirePro S7000 /S9000/S10000 
    • FirePro v7800P/V9800P

• NVIDIA
    • Grid K1 and K2 

• Quadro 4000/5000/6000 
    • Tesla M2070Q

Source:

VMware KB:     Hardware and software requirements for running AMD and NVIDIA GPUs in vSphere 5.5  

The Software Package for NVIDIA can you download here:

NVIDIA DRIVERS VMware vSphere ESXi 5.5 Driver

The Software Package for AMD didn't found.

The Documentation about "how to install drivers" can you find here:

VMware KB: Installing async drivers on ESXi 5.0, 5.1, and 5.5

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The AMD-VIB is not yet released so currently only Nvidia works.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos