VMware Cloud Community
MrVidoDido
Contributor
Contributor

Is the the inside H/W compatible w/ ESXI 5 ?

Hi

I plan upgrade my PC and buy some new stuff for entering to vSphere 5 world and I will buy the follwoing:

Processor

Intel i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHZ 8MB cache

MB

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H socket 1155

RAM
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600 CL9

HDD

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB SATA 6GB/s 64MB Cache

SSD

Intel 330 Series Maple Crest 60GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5 inch Solid-State

Will I face any problems in installing the ESXI or related VMware suite on the previous H/W?Do you've any H/W suggestion for a "virtualization newbie"?

thanks a lot.

Basim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

if you are going to setup a test/lab environment you may want to consider to install vSphere as virtual machines in VMware Workstation. ESXi is built for server hardware and you may run into issues with e.g. the NIC, disk controller, ...

For how to build a virtual lab see e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab or vSphere 5 AutoLab

Regarding the components, consider to get at least 16GB RAM and a 128GB SSD.

André

PS: Discussion moved from VMware ESXi™ 4 to VMware ESXi 5

MrVidoDido
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André

I see some of posts in this blog and it's really helpful. unfortunately I can't find an SSD with 120GB right now in my area, So I will go with Segate HDD with 6Gbps speed right now and later on I will add SSD (most likely I won't use the linked mode as I'm going to install different platform in VMs)

but is there any conflict in my H/W with VSphere5?

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Depending in what you want to do, 4GB RAM could be quite limiting. I have such a RAM configuration in my personal laptop and I run into trouble if I want to test some things like:

- 2 virtual ESXi

- 1 vCenter

- 1 Openfiller

- 1 Active Driectory/DNS/DHCP

SSD drives, I'm so in love with them right now Smiley Happy I don't have one yet, but I saw the performance in my friends laptop and it's awesome!!!... He bought it in Amazon store.

Having an SSD drive for such a low memory quantity could be a really big difference in the kind of labs you want to achieve. Anyway...that configuration you are talking about will let you start using vSphere, and as you want to try/use more features, you could be gradually adding the things you need.

Ok...I just wanted to share my own experience in case it helped you.

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
MrVidoDido
Contributor
Contributor

Hi elgreco81,

I appreciate really your sharing. I will go with 16 GB ram and later on I will add the SSD.

regards

basim

0 Kudos