VMware Cloud Community
meimeiriver
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is the Intel Z68 chipset supported?

Is the Intel Z68 chipset supported by ESXi 5.0?

I looked at the HLC at http://www.vm-help.com//esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php#MB

I only saw 1 gigabyte board with a Z68, that wasn't fully 'green' on the OK button. But that HLC is only for ESXi 4, though (oddly enough).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

If you are looking for fully supported by VMware you will want to check here - http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php. vm-help is a great reference site for getting devices that are not supporedt officially to work -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
sebcrj
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have recently to buy ASUS P8Z68 VLX motherbord.

This motherboard is equipped with the chipset intel Z68 which allows to create logical disque in RAID. I have 1 SSD disk and 3 SATA disks, and I configured a RAID 5 since BIOS of the Chipset Intel Z68 with the 3 SATA disk.

During the installation of VSPHERE 5, he sees the SSD disk as well as 3 other SATA disks but not the logical disk in RAID 5.

Later the installation ends with no problem on the SSD disk.

With the VSPHERE client, I tried to add the logical disk in RAID 5, but it does not see it.

He proposes me to add the 3 physicals disks only.

Do you think that this issue is due to that the Chipset Intel Z68 is not yet supported on VSPHERE 5 or another issue?

For information, I installed the OpenSource version of VSPHERE, I am going to test to install VSPHERE 5 Hypervisor Entreprise Editon to see if the problem is identical.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The motherboard likely has an Intel ICH*R controller which is software based RAID.   ESXi does not support software RAID so which you'll be able to use the host, ESXi will only recognize the individual disks.

While the configuration of the RAID arrays is handled in the BIOS of the host, a software driver is still required for these types of RAID controllers to work properly.

0 Kudos
sebcrj
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much Dave for your response.

Ok, I anderstand now why the RAID is not reconize, because it is a software which manage the RAID.

Even if the Intel Z68 chipset is supported on ESXi VSphere 5, I'll never be able to see my logical disk.

Arf, I bought this motherbord to manage RAID without additonnal disk controller card Smiley Happy

Need to buy it now !

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I would suggest an LSI based card like a Dell Perc 5 or 6.  If you look at eBay you can often pick one up for a good price.   

0 Kudos
MarchYang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have an Asus P8Z68-V LE main board and install vSphere 5.1, at first I can download vSphere client from this host, but later further execution from vSphere client are denied because the connection closed by the host. Then I check the system log and found some routing error about the default gateway can not be fournd. It confuse me so much, why initially host can be pinged and then later something wrong wbout the network.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong about that ?

Thank very much !!

0 Kudos
hyundoj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi MarchYang,

I have the same problem here. Did you figure it out? Please advise me if you have a solution.

0 Kudos