VMware Cloud Community
joe281180
Contributor
Contributor

Is the ESX multi vCPU /page sharing bug still present in ESXi 5?

Hi

I've recently upgraded to ESXi 5 from ESX4.0

With ESX4.0, we used to have to disable page sharing for multi CPU VMs due to a bug that causes these VMs to take over 5 minutes to reboot if page sharing is enabled, see the following VMWare KB for details about this:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100490...

Does anyone know of any VMware documentation that shows that this has been address in ESXi 5? I've searched but can't find anything.

Thanks

Joe

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alim786
Expert
Expert

I have not seen this before and have not come across any documents regarding this. All I can advise is that if you still have the same hardware(CPU) and you want to upgrade to ESXi 5.1, then you need to first find out if your hardware is compatible. If it is, then you will have to upgrade and test without the setting.

If your hardware is NOT compatible, then you will have to buy different hardware anyway.

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To be honest I never experianced this with ESX 4, and thats what a bug is, its a bug some people get affected with it, others dont.

The KB you references only covers ESX not ESXi so I would say its not or has not yet been reported as an issue with ESXi.

I personally havent seen it in the hundreds of ESXi 5 servers I look after

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager
0 Kudos
joe281180
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alim786,

Actually we've already upgraded to ESXi 5.

The memory sharing bug was a known issue in ESX, and because of it we have page sharing disabled on many VMs. I'm actually trying to find out whether we still need to have page sharing disabled.

Joe

0 Kudos
Alim786
Expert
Expert

Sorry Joe, I misread your question. If you have actually upgraded to ESXi 5.x, then why don't you test it ?

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos
joe281180
Contributor
Contributor

I will test it if there is no documentation. If there had been a document that states that this is still a problem though, I would then not have bothered to test it as to do so would require either deploying a new multi CPU VM or arranging down time for one of our existing VMs, so I was just trying to avoid the extra hassle if its not necessary.

Anyway looks like I may just have to go ahead and test

0 Kudos