VMware Cloud Community
PhilipBa
Contributor
Contributor

Is nocheckCPUIDLimit available on ESX4?

I am reinstalling my old Dell SC1420 server and have experienced some problems

I have been using it with ESXi 4 up until now. I am now installing ESX4 instead, and get this message after the boot menu:

"Unsupported Bios setting (CPUID is Limited) Disable limit cpuid value or Support lecagy/NT4OS"

The SC1420 do not have these settings in BIOS

I did get the same problem when I installed ESXi 4 the first time. But I solved this using the nocheckCPUIDLimit switch.

But I can't seem to do the same on ESX4. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at this thread:

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
PhilipBa
Contributor
Contributor

The post you mention (from 2006) looks like is for ESX3.5

"/vmkernel/checkCPUIDLimit = "FALSE"

in /etc/vmware/esx.conf (it doesn't matter where)"

Can't seem to find this in ESX4.

0 Kudos
PhilipBa
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody know if it's possible to use nocheckCPUIDLimit on ESX4??

0 Kudos
tkamen
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem as the OP. I am trying to install ESX 4.0 on a Poweredge SC1420 machine and get the same error stating to disable the Limit CPUID value. As already mentioned, this option is not available in the BIOS. Anyone have any suggestions on resolving this?

0 Kudos
tkamen
Contributor
Contributor

I just called in to support and they were unwilling to do anything because the SC1420 is not on the list of compatible machines. What irks me though is the guy tells me "There is a workaround we can offer, but because your machine isn't supported I cannot give it to you as I cannot guarantee it will work." I was like "I am fine with your no guarantee and you can feel free to note that in the ticket too. I just want something that to at least try. If it works, great and if not, then it doesn't." He still refused to offer me the workaround. Makes me mad. I work in support and I understand that extensive help cannot be offered to outdated products or non-supported platforms, but if it's a Known Issue that has a workaround for it, I will sure as hell offer it to them so they at least have something to try.

0 Kudos
pchoi94
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

anyone have any luck on this? i've got the same issue with a dell sc1420 as well...

0 Kudos