VMware Cloud Community
jep201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Is it safe to change the the current operating system setting of your live virtual machine

Hi

We have an ESX 4.0 VM on hardware version 4 and it is running Windows Server 2008 (64 Bit) but when i check the VM configuration the guest the Guest Operating System is showing as Windows Vista 64 bit.

Would it be safe to power off the VM and to edit the configuration and change the guest OS setting of the VM to match the OS which the VM is currently running?

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you have to power off the VM and make the changes. Always make sure that you set the correct OS type.

0 Kudos
jep201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks AT10

I'll arrange some down time and make that change, do you know if an incorrect OS version would affect how many CPU's you can allocate a VM.

As for that paticlar VM i can only allocate a max of 2 CPU's even though i can assign up to 8 on the other VM's on that host or should i just start another discussion for this?

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, If you select the incorrect OS type you will face problem in assigning CPUs due to the compatibility on the OS level. Change the OS type and try to allocate more CPU and update this thread.

0 Kudos