VMware Cloud Community
Anishkumarv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it possible??

Hi Team,

Is there any way to find the esx host ip using virtual machines IP or virtual machines? without login to the esx?  because  i have N number of esx its very difficult to find which vm is belongs to which esx? kindly help to solve this thread.

With Regards

Anish Kumar.V

6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No it is not possible - the VM is not aware of anything aout the ESXi host - if you are managing your hosts with vCenter you can search for the VM name

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

The free RVTools might be the easiest non-scripted way to discover this info.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
Anishkumarv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is this a reliable tool??

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Anishkumarv wrote:

is this a reliable tool??

yes, very reliable.  In my opinion a tool that no VI admin should be without.  Great news, it's free!

Anishkumarv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks its works like charm !!!

0 Kudos
SergioSa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Anishkumarv

Like was said before the VMs are not aware of anything about hosts.

Although if your environment is manage by Vcenter, you may search for virtual machines using names, IP, Vmware tool state, up time and lots of others itens listed. You also can combine them to have a exactly answer.

RVTOOLS is very reliable. I Always use it when I need to understand and know a new vmware environment.

Helps a lot.