VMware Cloud Community
rmicone1
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to transfer 4 RAID'd disks into a different ESXi server?

I have a RAID-5 array of 4 disks with a single virtual machine on it, and I'd like to transfer it to a different ESXi host...

Is this even possible? I'm thinking either the RAID and vmware datastore needs to be scanned/imported/rebuilt... or all of that... is this possible or advisable?

Both machines are identical Dell Power Edge 2800 with PERC4 cards, (One has a faster cpu)

I know you can use VMWare Converter to move it to the new machine, but I don't have 4 new SCSI disks lying around so the cost is the factor here...

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you can move the disks to the other server without the RAID controller going to rebuild etc, ESXi should start and you should be able to scan for new storage adapters. If you run ESXi from USB this should just work fine.

0 Kudos
learningman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can, swap the PERC4's as the dell cards can sometimes be very picky. Or if you are just swapping servers due to the fact that one has a faster processor, just swap the processors rather than moving the disks

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos