VMware Cloud Community
psika
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to mount a VMWare workstation Machine on Vsphere?

I spent several hours on the problem, but I did not fixe it.

I have my virtual machine on Workstation 14, and I would like it on Vsphere 5.5 and I have good Hardware compatibility.

I have try to export my machine in OVF but when I start it on Vsphere, an error pop before the machine run and the machine never boot.

I have try whith VMDK, with many way, but all the time i have an error (but the machine start).

Someone have a solutions please? Thank's a lot.

(PS: Sorry for my bad english)

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you post the error you receive when trying to run the VM in 5.5?

And when you say you have good hardware compatibility, you are saing you downgraded the hardware in Workstation to hw version 10 or lower, correct?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Mparayil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like the OVF itself is corrupted, can you re create the OVF file 

0 Kudos
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Re-export it as OVF from workstation and re-import it into 5.5?

Are you saying the VM is corrupted in some kind of way?  i.e. the VMDK has issues?

0 Kudos
psika
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i have this Hardware Compatibility

Screenshot_1.png

When I import the OVF file i have this error :

pastedImage_1.png

"the following manifest file entry (line 1) is incorrect : "SHA256..."

I can not go further than choosing the OVF file

When i import my VMDK folder and i use the VDMK disk i have this error (When i run the machine)

Screenshot_2.png

"

n error was received from the ESX host when the UTI10-DEB-SYSLOG-MV9 VM UTI10-DEB-SYSLOG-MV9 was turned on.

Virtual machine boot failure.

DiskEarly module activation failure.

Unable to open disk' /vmfs/volumes/593c25a0-9db775c1-9d02-80c16e734/UTI10db734/UTI10-DEB-SYSLOG-MV9/UTI10-DEB-SYSLOG-MV9. vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks on which it depends.

The system cannot find the specified file

VMware ESX does not find the virtual disk "/vmfs/volumes/593c25a0-9db775c1-9d02-80c16e7db734/UTI10-DEB-SYSLOG-MV9/UTI10-DEB-SYSLOG-MV9. vmdk". Verify that the path is valid and try again."

0 Kudos
psika
Contributor
Contributor

I retried to export the OVF file, which I could import back to Vmware workstation but I still have the same mistake.

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_1.png

"the following manifest file entry (line 1) is incorrect : "SHA256..."

I can not go further than choosing the OVF file, but it's only on Vsphere. I don't understand.

Thanks for your help !

0 Kudos
jfene72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install vCenter Server Converter Standalone ... it takes away the pain from having to manually move VMs from Workstation to ESXi / vCenter

pastedImage_0.png

Download VMware vCenter Converter Standalone for P2V Conversion

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Assuming you have Workstation Pro 14.x, you should be able to connect to the ESXi server by using the "Connect to Server" (Ctrl+L shortcut key) function.

Once connected to the ESXi Server, you can upload the Workstation VM to the ESXi server using the Upload option (under VM -> Manager -> Upload). The upload function will use the OVFTool in the background for you.

Just make sure the hardware compatibility is set for one that ESXi 5.5 can handle.

0 Kudos
jfene72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The upload feature is also available in Workstation 12.x but gives you zero control on what you might want changed in terms of VM configuration. More often than not it throws an OVF error. Not sure about Workstation 14.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos