VMware Cloud Community
HarryWilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to either get ESXi 7 working with Intel 82576 network controller, or possible to still get a trial of ESXi 6.7?

Hello, I recently signed up for a 60 day trial of the Product Evaluation Center for VMware vSphere 7.0. I have never used vSphere before, and am trying to learn it to expand my employment opportunities.

I have a Supermicro H8DGU-F, which has the Intel 82576 network controller. The server also has the Intel Gigabit ET2 Quad Port Server Adapter, and has the model E1G44ET2BLK listed on the label. Searching for that model brings up an ark.intel.com page for the ET2, and if it is the correct page for this model ("E1G44ET2BLK" is nowhere on the page, in spite of it being one of the top results when using it as the search term), then it also uses the Intel 82576 network controller.

During setup, I see the following errors:
nfs41client failed to load

vmfs3 failed to load

Util: 1338: Failed trying to get a valid VMKernel MAC address: not found [...] Add/configure VMKernel NICs

If I am interpreting the results of searching the VMware Compatibility Guide for "82576", this hardware will support only up to ESXi 6.7. Am I correct?

Assuming I cannot run ESXi 7, I guess I'd like to try the newest compatible version. I cannot find where to register to evaluate vSphere 6.7. Is it still possible to do this?

Looking forward to any assistance that can be provided. Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I'm not sure about the driver, i.e. whether there is one available for v7.

However, it should still be possible to register for the ESXi 6.7 Hypervisor at https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

André

View solution in original post

13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I'm not sure about the driver, i.e. whether there is one available for v7.

However, it should still be possible to register for the ESXi 6.7 Hypervisor at https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

André

HarryWilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That answers one of my questions, and is helpful. Thank you so much for your response. How were you able to find it?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How were you able to find it?

It's in my collection of useful links.

André

HarryWilson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Aptly named collection. My server is currently installing ESXi 6.7.0. I will likely mark your first post as the 'correct answer', but will leave this thread open for a short period before I do.

In your opinion, is learning 6.7 a good use of my time, or would it be best to acquire newer hardware that can support 7 and to begin by learning that? Is it a correct assumption that there is more in common between the two versions than there are differences?I

Again, I thank you for your feedback. You've already been super helpful.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Although version 7.0 comes with a couple of changes, enhancements, and new features (especially in vCenter Server), I still think that version 6.7 is still excellent for learning purposes. Depending on your hardware, you may even be able to install ESXi 7.0 as a virtual machine on the ESXi 6.7 host. Setting up a virtual environment on ESXi, or VMware Workstation is actually what a lot of people do to run home labs.

André

camratchford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure if you'll read this, but hopefully this helps people in the future. This is the package that's required.

https://my.vmware.com/en/group/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI70-INTEL-IGBN-14110&pro...

F4bian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

man, I love you! Works like a charm!

0 Kudos
Ride2esc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you help me, how you did with vib file and iso exsi7.0?  I used ESXI Customizer v2.7.2 in Win xp to recompile de original iso esxi7.0 with this file, but when I try to install I get Network card not found. ( dual port intel 82576)

Thank you very much! 

0 Kudos
F4bian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi dude! forget about ESXi Customizer, it's too outdated...instead, I used Image Builder from vCenter Server...It's very simple..... Good Luck!

0 Kudos
bellocarico
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have tried this on ESXi 7 with on SuperMicro H8DGI-F, this comes with Intel® 82576 controller

Bult a custom image using the instructions here: https://vmexplorer.com/2019/09/13/create-an-esxi-installation-iso-with-custom-drivers-in-9-easy-step...

I did verify for the drivers to be inclded in the custom iso.

PS C:\Users\user\Desktop\vmware> Compare-EsxImageProfile -ComparisonProfile ESXi-7.0U1c-17325551-standard-NICs -ReferenceProfile ESXi-7.0U1c-17325551-standard

Equal : False
PackagesEqual : False
RefAcceptanceLevel : PartnerSupported
CompAcceptanceLevel : PartnerSupported
OnlyInRef : {}
OnlyInComp : {}
UpgradeFromRef : {INT_bootbank_igbn_1.4.11.0-1OEM.700.1.0.15525992}
DowngradeFromRef : {}

Booting the server with the custom ISO fails with a "no network card detected" error.

bellocarico_0-1615460060528.png

So either that package you mention works for 6.7 only (although I remember having installe 6.7 on the very same motherboard with no additional package) or I did something wrong in the process.

Or... this was working in 7.0 but broken again in 7.0U1. Really don't know what to think any more.

Can anybody confirm what's the OP position regarding the 82576 chipset and 7.0x?

P.S. This page has a lits of un/supported NICs on 7.0 I can see a large number of chipsers/vendors being supported only up to 6.7. Is this just work in progress for Vmware or are we really forced to change hardware?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
wolframio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

deletethis plz

0 Kudos
wolframio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

delete this

0 Kudos
wolframio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@F4bian can you give more info about this? what exact software did you use, have the link to that version? thanks

0 Kudos