VMware Cloud Community
Lokela999
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to create multiple management networks to multiple physical ports?

We have a requirement to test layer 3 connectivity through all physical ports of the host of the type one hypervisor.  As part of a physical hardware test, we have a small form factor server with 5  network ports.  The port Ehternet0 is the management port and can receive pings from external devices on a separate subnet through a Cisco switch and router, router on a stick configuration.  The layer three works since a gateway is defined in the TCP/IP settings assigned to the management configuration.  I tried to setup VMKernal's to each ethernet ports but no success as gateway is not defined for each VMkernal.  Is it possible to assign multiple management gateways to each physical interface?  I was able to solve this issues by creating an Ubuntu VN and created 4 network adaptors, assign them to port groups then vswitch (removing the vmkernal configurations) and vmnics, but that's a cumbersome process when you have to test 600+ servers.  We, and our customer, is looking for a simpler flat solution, is there one?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey, 

please check this thread: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/Is-it-possible-to-have-more-than-one-management-n...

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos