VMware Cloud Community
doron1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it possible on ESXi to configure a virtual HDD tied to a USB controller?

Folks,

Is there a way to configure a virtual HDD connected to the guest via a USB controller?

I have a need to create a virtual device that looks to the guest as a USB connected Mass Storage Device.

It seems like the guest configuration dialogs only allow adding actual USB devices unto a USB controller, but not hard drives. HDDs seem to be connectable via a plethora of controllers (IDE, SATA, SAS etc.) but not USB.

Can this be done in ESXi?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Or are you saying authoritatively that this is not supported in ESXi?
I would not claim any authority on that matter - its more that I am 97% sure that if there was a way to do that I would know about it.
That includes VMware Workstation and ESXi.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do I understand this correctly ?
You want to create a normal virtual disk backed up by a VMDK on a standard datastore and configure it in such a way that the guestOS perceives it as a USB-device ?
That is impossible as far as I know.

doron1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You want to create a normal virtual disk backed up by a VMDK on a standard datastore and configure it in such a way that the guestOS perceives it as a USB-device ?

Yes.

The way to do it would be to add a USB controller, and under that, "add device" which is a virtual HDD (VMDK). Only that it seems there's no option to add such under those controllers, which might mean either of (a) you're right or (b) there's a CLI "advanced" way to do it still.

Or are you saying authoritatively that this is not supported in ESXi? (there's support for it in other virtualization products).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Or are you saying authoritatively that this is not supported in ESXi?
I would not claim any authority on that matter - its more that I am 97% sure that if there was a way to do that I would know about it.
That includes VMware Workstation and ESXi.