VMware Cloud Community
DShainin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible for HA / VMotion to migrate a VM when fiber SAN connectivity is lost/cut?

Using: Version ESX 4 / vCenter4

I have a 4 node ESX cluster running HA. I want to know if it is possible for vmotion to migrate a VM if the host it lives on has a loss of fiber connectivity to a SAN/backend storage. I can get VMotion to work when I go and unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the esx host, but when I unplug the fiber connections the VM's will freeze up and no migration will happen. Is it possible to do this with VMotion HA? I also tried to set DRS to aggressive to see if when I unplug the fiber it will lose connectivity and report a loss of memory or cpu and then migrate.....this did not happen...the vm still reports to vCenter that the memory and cpu have not changed....so DRS did not kick in to migrate the VM's.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's no such a thing for HA. HA only gets triggered when there's an network isolation or a host goes down. DRS also does not take this into account. However there are a whole bunch of events that can trigger an action like "maintenance mode". not sure if there is one for path failures, just check it out. it's described in the following pdf: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_admin_guide.pdf

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

HA only monitors hearbeat of the ESX Hosts, and therefore if the ESX Host is on-line there is no HA event. Pulling fiber connections will eventually cause your VM's to BSOD (windows) or go into readonly mode (linux), but has nothing to do with HA.

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's no such a thing for HA. HA only gets triggered when there's an network isolation or a host goes down. DRS also does not take this into account. However there are a whole bunch of events that can trigger an action like "maintenance mode". not sure if there is one for path failures, just check it out. it's described in the following pdf: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_admin_guide.pdf

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

0 Kudos
DShainin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does HA DRS do migrations at VM monitoring level? If so, is there a way to trigger it to show a loss of cpu or memory when the backend storage is disconnected to force a DRS trigger to migrate?

0 Kudos
DShainin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sounds good. Thank you both.

0 Kudos