VMware Cloud Community
akhtarmirza
Contributor
Contributor

Is it nessesary to upgrade from ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 5?

Is it?  What if we stary on ver 4.1 for a while?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You won't be forced to go to vSphere 5 and VMware will support ESXi 4.x for 7 years - http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/enterprise-infrastructure/index.html.

If you have active SNS then you'll want to at least look at upgrading your licensing, but you wouldn't have to migrate right away if you want to wait (i.e. for the first service pack).

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

ESXi5 isn't out yet - so there's certainly no need to uprgrade today.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

See in case you need any of new feature which in ESXi5 (after upgrade you are getting that feature),

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
hmarsili
Contributor
Contributor

For VSPHERE Essential users, is there any important benefir I'm missing? I see a lot of features, but none are direct impact for us. The question remaining is: is worth updating just for performance or stability improvments?

0 Kudos
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Errr, I guess it would look good in a CV!!  The big changes I can only see in ent+ for added features. I guessby upgrading you can also upgrade VMFS to the new version. Other than that if you are not currently having performance and stability issues I would not necessarily jump to upgrading just yet. maybe hang on a lurk round the forums waiting for others to do it and see what they report.

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi 4.1 was pretty stable/solid, and performant.

While there are (almost) always improvements in new versions.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

Before you will implement vSphere 5 into production env good practice is wait utill VMware release Update 1 pack for vSphere5 - that policy is applicable for all software verndors - at least in place where I work Smiley Wink

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos