VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it a good idea thin provision System Drive ?

Just wonder whether it is a good idea to thin provision MS 2012 System Disk (C Drive) ?

One argument is the system drive doesn't  change frequently.  On the other hand, another argument is thin provisioning may impact system performance, especailly system drive.

Your advice is sought.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In my opinion it would depend upon the use case of the server.

In case the server is used as a application server and files related to application are again stored on the System Disk which is by default then you should go with thick provisioning.

On the other hand if it going to end up as Database/file server where actual work files are stored on a separate drive then you can provision your system disk as thin.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In my opinion it would depend upon the use case of the server.

In case the server is used as a application server and files related to application are again stored on the System Disk which is by default then you should go with thick provisioning.

On the other hand if it going to end up as Database/file server where actual work files are stored on a separate drive then you can provision your system disk as thin.

0 Kudos
macvirtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

In my experience, I haven't seen any problems on thin-provisioned system drive( on Windows Server 2008 R2), however, as previously Donnie pointed, it depends on your application that you intend to run at that virtual server.

It's general advice to use thin-provisioned virtual disk but, to monitor the usage of thin-provisioned disk is more important than to care about its performance.

Hope it works for you.

Best,

MAC