VMware Cloud Community
russkiel
Contributor
Contributor

Is it OK to move ESX3.5 VMs to a new ESX4.0 Host?

hi everyone.

First, i can't tell you how invaluable these discussions have been for me over the years, thank you so much to everyone that's ever participated.

Second, my question is a simple one, i think. i have 12 ESX 3.5 hosts around my firm. I have started on a hardware upgrade path replacing the Dell servers with beefier units, installing ESX 4.0 and intending to move the VMs created on the 3.5 hosts to the new 4.0 hosts.

Can anyone see an issue with this? I did a test by adding a 4.0 host to a cluster containing a 3.5 host, I "cloned" an existing VM and moved it to the new 4.0. In fact, I moved three of them, a file server, a domain controller and a print server.

I seem to feel that some of the performance has decreased when browsing any one of those servers as a user and it dawned on me to worry about it. Smiley Wink

Is that a no-no? Moving 3.5 VMs to a 4.0 Host?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Russ

0 Kudos
5 Replies
amvmware
Expert
Expert

No it is perfectly Ok - you need to upgrade the hardware from v4 to v7 and upgrade the Vm tools. What you cant do is try and move a version 7 hardware VM to a 3.5 host.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

...and if not clear on the path. The VMware Tools have to go first, then the virtual hardware. The vHardware will only get upgraded to v7 after your entire environment is on 4.x.

russkiel
Contributor
Contributor

cool.

thank you for the reassurrance but you bring up another question.

what's the "V7" you're referring to?

i'm moving virtual machines from an ESX 3.5 host to an ESX 4.0 host. what's the V7 reference?

Russ

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

v7 is the virtual hardware version for vSphere 4.x guests

See what's new

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_40_new_feat.html

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

V7 refers to the level of the virtual hardware that your VM is using. Like updating the motherboard on your home computer. The guest needs to be off to do the upgrade to the new hardware level and the change is almost instant. I would do a test or two with a clone of your most critical servers and absolutely do not make the change until you have totally made the change to ESX 4. You can not revert to the version 4 hardware and it is not possible run version 7 hardware on ESX 3.5. You can operate quite comfortably with version 4 hardware although you loose some of the new performance and capabilities of version 7 hardware.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos