VMware Cloud Community
sepackard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is hot migration possible with VMWare ESXi 5.1.0 without an ESX management server

Is hot migration possible with VMWare ESXi 5.1.0 without an ESX management server?
I'm wondering for a future issue, a scenario where a sysadmin would have to build a Win2008 server+DC on local storage,
then, after the physical box is brought into the classified network, the physical box is connected to classified SAN storage.
Is it possible to hot-migrate the Win2008 server+DC from local storage to SAN-based storage at that time, with only the
free version of VMWare ESXi 5.1.0?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community -I assume you are looking to do this while the vm is running - this is not possible without a management server also called vCenetr - but all is not lost because you would be able move the VM from local storage to the SAN with the vm posered off using the storage management features of the client

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community -I assume you are looking to do this while the vm is running - this is not possible without a management server also called vCenetr - but all is not lost because you would be able move the VM from local storage to the SAN with the vm posered off using the storage management features of the client

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos