VMware Cloud Community
NikunjB
Contributor
Contributor

Is concurrent reconfig operations on my vm during its boot cause it to boot slow ? How to debug a slow vm boot ?

Hi All,

I am running in to a very interesting problem. I use vijava to perform config operations on my vm. The vm has 10 network adapters. Here is how config steps goes:

Step-1) First vm-host affinity drs rules are set for the vm.

Step-2) Followed by poweron operation for that vm. This makes the vm move to corresponding esx host. (vm normally takes < 2 minutes to boot completely)

Step-3) At this point when the vm is still booting, I start with configuring network for this vm. i.e. mapping virtual nics of the vm to the port groups present on the esx host.

Q1) Since the VM is still booting and has 10 network adapters, does configuring those adapters at this "in between boot" point can cause any delay in the boot ? I am actually experiencing large vm boot times going as max as 15 minutes and I doubt whether this is causing the delay in boot.

Q2) Is configuring network during vm boot recommended ?
Q3) In general, what are different ways to debug slow vm boot ?

Some more points:

- I am experiencing this issue on ESXi 5.1/5.5

- VM is based on SLES 11 SP3

- VM is sitting on its own unique datastore, which is coming from FC based array. (latency is not an issue)

- The ESXi host on which the VM is running does not have any resource crunch.
- The issue is not always reproducible. Hit rate 1/10 times.

- Tried with reserving the cpu and mem resources for the vm, but the issue still comes as before (1/10 times).

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Nikunj

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
0 Replies