VMware Cloud Community
RahulMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is Windows server 2012 RC version supported on ESXi 5 Update1?

Hi Folks,

I am trying to install Windows server 2012 RC version as guest OS on ESXi 5 Update1. The VM doesnt comes up after booting, and is just stuck.

I am seeing lot of comments floating around  like "I was able to install 2012 RC on ESXi 5 Update 1. Instead of selecting OS as Windows 8 64 bit, you need to select Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit while installing 2012 64bit RC."

Is this valid deployment? How can I successfully install Windows server 2012 RC version as guest OS on ESXi 5 Update1.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Rahul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Not, its not a supported guest, but you should be able to get it to run ok. This kb article referencing windows 8 may be of use: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200685...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
RahulMM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The KB says Windows 8, is listed as Tech Preview  support for ESXi 5.0 Update 1.

It also mentions that we need to select Create a new virtual machine configured for either Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2.

So I guess this is supported.

Am I right?

0 Kudos