VMware Cloud Community
HexDump
Contributor
Contributor

Is VMWare EXSI the right product for this requirements?

Hi,

These are the requirements:

1) I would like to build a server to host VM's.

2) Users must be able to build/stop/run/use vm's through network.

3) There would be something between 1-3 machines running at the same time.

4) The way I would like an user to interact with each vm is simple.He can build a vm if needed. He can start the machine and connect to it to start working inside it. The machines will be mainly used for developing. After the user finishes his work the machine will be switched off.

Is VMWare EXSI the right tool for this scenario? I have been checking some documentation and it seems to be a good solution but not sure.

On the other hand, could you please suggest a valid hardware configuration (Processor, memory, etc.) to support my previous requirements? I have been thingking about:

- 1 ryzen 2700X

- 16 GB ram

- 1 TB

What do you think?

Cheers

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hello

Before you buy any hardware, check the compatibility matrix.

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
HexDump
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Beside the hardware requirements, is vsphere (aka exsi) the right tool for the requirments I specified before?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - you have a 60 days trial to check if the free version is already enough to supply all your needs.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Hi HexDump,

Yes, ESXi can do all 4 topics you asked on your original request, as other hypervisors can also do (like hyper-v for example).

ESXi can be executed with a free license, you can download it from here: https://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi

Don´t forget to check VMware HCL first if you will be purchasing hardware for that. You can also purchase servers on the cloud for it, like from Hetzner or OVH.

Hope this helps you.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos