VMware Cloud Community
SteveDavidson
Contributor
Contributor

Ip address and mac address and hostnames and...

I have installed esxi4u1 on an x3550 m2 server. I have assigned a static ip address to the physical server. Now I want to create several virutal machines. Do each of these virtual machines HAVE to have their own IP address? Or can they somehow share the ip address of the esxi server? I should add that I need to be able to access each of these machines from other machines on the physical network. So from my laptop, I want to be able to use a virtual application server and a virtual database server. Any way to do what I am suggesting here?

The reason is that my network admin doesn't have a lot of ip addresses to give me. I am network braindead, but trying to educate myself and keep him happy and make my virtual environments accessible to non-virtual network machines.

Suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Treat your virtual machines as you would a physical machine s0 each of the virtual machines will need their own unique IP address - you can set them statically or use a DHCP server if there i one on the network - you can also create a VM that will act as a NAT router, there is quite a bit osf open source software that will let you do this - so you would only need one IP address for the NAT router -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos