VMware Cloud Community
ajh499
Contributor
Contributor

Invoke-VMScript has stopped working on ESXi 5.1

Hi

I really hope someone can help me with this, it's driving me crazy!

I have a guest VM running Ubuntu hosted on ESXi 5.1 that has been running a script called from another machine using Invoke-VMScript from PowerCLI for months. Since adding a second hard disk to the Ubuntu VM, Invoke-VMScript has stopped working and just returns "The guest authentication being used does not have sufficient permissions to perform the operation". I've even tried just running "ls -l", but apparently my guest account doesn't have permission to do even that!

Changing the target guest VM to another on the same host works fine, it's just this one VM that won't work.

I've stopped and started vmware tools, rebooted the VM and even tried uninstalling and reinstalling vmware-tools, nothing has made any difference.

I've tried enabling logging, and entries were added but nothing seemed to appear in the log at the moment when I run Invoke-VMScript, so I'm not sure if the logging was working correctly.

I'm out of ideas now. I've tried searching for similar problems and while there seem to be a few people with issues that sound the same, there don't seem to be any solutions that work for me.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ajh499
Contributor
Contributor

Anybody? I'm out of ideas here

I have been using these scripts to run backups of a couple of apps within the VM, I really need to get them working again.

0 Kudos