VMware Cloud Community
Firefall
Contributor
Contributor

Invalid snapshot configuration?

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my customers ESXi and Virtual Applicance to 6.7 from 6.5 and now we get a lot of errors regarding "Detected an invalid snapshot configuration" both from VEEAM ONE and Solarwinds MSP (and Solarwinds says this is a VMWare problem) so I'm stuck in between whose fault it may be. We never had this issue in 6.5.

If I remove any *.vmsd files on all the VM's and Reloading the *.vmx file, everything is fine and the backup will run.  But this has to be done everyday otherwise the backup will not run. It's kind of frustrating by doing this every single day (or night since it's production servers) just to make sure the backup will work.

VMware Knowledge Base (Reloading vmx file)

Any suggestion? I'm not using snapshot at all, not even VUM. Create/Delete Snapshot works fine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I've recently upgraded my customers ESXi and Virtual Applicance to 6.7 from 6.5
Before you do something like that you should check if your backup-tool supports the new version.
Anyway - maybe there is a problem with your vmx-file ....
A vmware.log from that VM would help ...

0 Kudos
Firefall
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, this is not related to one VM it's related to 12 VM's. So I grab one and post it. I've also change the servername to Server1. Anything you find susipicious pls let me know.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

2018-08-31T20:52:01.715Z| vmx| I125: GuestRpc: Got RPCI vsocket connection 310003, assigned to channel 1.

2018-08-31T20:52:02.739Z| vmx| I125: GuestRpc: Got error for channel 1 connection 310004: Remote disconnected

2018-08-31T20:52:02.739Z| vmx| I125: GuestRpc: Closing channel 1 connection 310004
That sounds like a problem inside your guests.
Check if you see any RPC and VSS related errors in the guests event.log
Did you update the vmware-tools ?

0 Kudos
Firefall
Contributor
Contributor

>That sounds like a problem inside your guests. Check if you see any RPC and VSS related errors in the guests event.log

The only thing happend inside the VM was nothing related to RPC or VSS (the server in this example is an Exchange 2016).

"The Update Orchestrator Service for Windows Update service entered the stopped state."

>Did you update the vmware-tools ?

Yes they are upgraded on all VM's

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Next step would be to check release notes of your backup-tools to make sure they already support virtual hardware #14.

0 Kudos
Firefall
Contributor
Contributor

>Next step would be to check release notes of your backup-tools to make sure they already support virtual hardware

Completly agree. I think the option VEEAM is better since they can handle this error without causing havoc and they also support 6.7.

0 Kudos