VMware Cloud Community
mcvmwaresupport
Contributor
Contributor

Invalid Configuration for device "11"

I've been reading a lot on invalid configuration for devices 0, 1, and 4, but my error is on "11".  It happens when I create a new VM based on a snapshot of an existing.  My question is, how do I know to what device the error is occurring?  That would at least help me troubleshoot where the issue lies.

I thought it was due to the fact that I had a floppy image attached, since that was the 11th device from the top of the list.  But after disconnecting the floppy, and later removing the floppy drive complete, device 11 still eludes me.  Any help would be great.  Thanks all!

9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

can you please attach the vmware.log in case a new one is created ?

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert

Did you try to restart the services on that specific host which causes the error? Or do you have this error on all hosts?

How is the VM build up device wise?

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
ccthomps
Contributor
Contributor

Solved mine, actually device 12.  I was trying to s-vmotion templates to different SAN.  Converted to vm's from template, migrate datastore, get error "invalid configuration for device 12."  Realized that vm's were hardware v7, so I upgraded the hardware to v8 (running ESXi v5) then tried the s-vmotion again.  It worked.  re-convert to template and I'm happy.

Craig

0 Kudos
rrothert
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, the Netapp rapid cloning process was failing consistently no matter what I tried. For a vSphere5 cluster, the VM template @ VM version 8, newest version of Netapp Virtual Storage Console, vCenter, SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure, etc. I kept getting the error "createCopyVM: Unable to copy VM - Invalid configuration for device '11'. Note: An unexpected exception has occurred. Create threw KaminoException that still required cleanup, bailing out of CreateClones." Searching around I wasn't able to find many people who were experiencing the same thing. The solution was to disable DRS on the cluster temporarily. Hope this helps.

-JLenzini

Chicago, IL

0 Kudos
rrothert
Contributor
Contributor

OK, well I take that back. The rapid cloning is working for VM version 7 templates, but will bomb-out on VM version 8. Not good.

-JLenzini

0 Kudos
BFD
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this is going to help everyone (anyone), but I've encountered an error 12 message today after importing templates from vSphere 4 which I wanted to use in vSphere 5 once I'd thinned them and moved datastore etc. I ran through the upgrade options from hardware v7 to v8, but this didn't help. I then noticed that I could not start the VM if I converted it from a template as it reported a MAC address error, so my solution was to remove and re-create the network card and this has resolved the problem.

0 Kudos
jdelgadocr
Contributor
Contributor

Mine was also for Device '12' while attempting to storage-migrate a template (converted to VM), but as this KB (kb.vmware.com/kb/2006809) says it's related to a vDS port reservation, I just changed the port group it was linked to and changed it back; then the migration worked just fine.

Jorge Delgado San José, Costa Rica
Dphiance
Contributor
Contributor

Jdelgadocr you sir are a true gentleman. Thanks for posting! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
njones08
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this.  We have a network monitor VM with six interfaces that had the same issue migrating.  With this I ended up snapping the VM, shutting down, removed all network interfaces, migrated the storage, reverted to snap, and powered it back on.  Worked great!

0 Kudos