VMware Cloud Community
McDoogle
Contributor
Contributor

Internal Error Occurred, when selecting vm

Hi,

I have been having no luck with my ESXi host and Vsphere client.  I have the host up and running and I am able to create a guest machine.  When I try to turn it on however or go to the console tab I get "An internal error occured in the vSphere Client.  Details: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

If I click on the vm in the left pane, below the ESXi host, I get the same message.  Once I am done creating the vm with the wizard I cannot do anything with it.  I installed vSphere client on my laptop and it works fine.  I can do everything no error, so this is what I have been doing to setup vms but it's a pain because I dont have a place for my laptop I only use it when I'm traveling.

I have been reading some information that leads me to believe .NET4 is the culprit.  My laptop has 3.5 and my desktop has .4 and they both run 64bit Windows 7.  I am using ESXi version 5.   I removed .net4 and removed vsphere.  I installed .net3.5 and installed vsphere again.  I get the same error, and I have not found any other help besides the .net tip.  Please help?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Welcome to the communities...

I just wanted to confirm that the vSphere client used by the Desktop and your Laptop are of the same version? In other words, the vSphere client used in desktop was it downloaded from the esxi installation?

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

do you have any vcenter? if no its quite obvious you would be using vpshere client. Why can't you download ESXi client again using the ip address punched on url and test it again and do a restart once you installed the client and check.

And, is all the required ports opened for your laptop ip to the esxi host?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
helltejas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I had the same problem 6 month ago.just uninstall and reinstall vsphere client... your issue will get resolved.

I hope this information will be helpful for you

Regards,

Tejas

0 Kudos
McDoogle
Contributor
Contributor

Well they both say they are the same version but I'll double check tonight.  I don't recall how I downloaded the one on the laptop.  I know on my desktop I went to my esxi host ip and downloaded it that way.  I could have gone to the web site to get vsphere client on my laptop.

0 Kudos
McDoogle
Contributor
Contributor

I did not realize that esxi client vs vsphere client was something different.  I only have a 1 host environment, no vcenter needed.  I just need to be able to log in to this one host create guest and configure networking and storage.

To install I went to the host ip in a web browser and clicked the first link, even though it was a 250mb file.  I'm at work I can't double check any of htis right now.  I think the first one said vsphere client and the other something about vcenter.

0 Kudos
McDoogle
Contributor
Contributor

I'm pretty sure this is what I did.  I got the file from the esxi host.  A reboot was not requested, but I have rebooted since then.

0 Kudos
McDoogle
Contributor
Contributor

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the client 3 or 4 times.  I thought something might be screwy with my profile so I created a new one but got the same message.  So what about .net no one responded....is there a compatibility issue or does someone have it working with .net4?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

alright, since you are getting this error only when you are opening a console of a VM, can you post us the vmware.log of the vm when you try to open a console.

Are you able to open any other VM console of different server under same vSphere client.

The reason, I am asking is that the console works with vmware-vmrc plugin. So to clear out this factor, do post us the vmware.log when you try to open a console

0 Kudos
McDoogle
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I'll attach my log when I get home.  It's not just when I try to look at the console tab, it's whenever I left click the vm in the list (so that it's selected) and it happens for every vm i've made.  I can right click on vm, no errors there.

0 Kudos
HannaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you haven't already try restarting the management agents on the hosts and the restart the vcenter server service just to rule out any confusion within the agents.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

Hope that helps, Hanna --- BSCS, VCP2, VCP VI3, VCP vSphere, VCP 5 https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/vmware-support-ibm
0 Kudos
McDoogle
Contributor
Contributor

How do you restart the managment agents on the host?  And I'm not using vcenter, fyi.  Sorry I forgot to attach the logs, new job been busy.  I will this weekend.

0 Kudos
HannaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003490

Hope that helps, Hanna --- BSCS, VCP2, VCP VI3, VCP vSphere, VCP 5 https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/vmware-support-ibm
0 Kudos