VMware Cloud Community
KPNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent vSphere Client connection failures

I'm working on a new v6 deployment and have hit an interesting issue which I haven't been able to track down through the normal channels. I thought I'd ask here before logging a support request.

Essentially trying to connect to the vCenter Server using the VI client, on the server, occasionally fails with a time out error:

vSphere Client could not connect to "servername" An unknown connection error occurred.(The request failed because the remote server took too long to respond.(The operation has timed out))

This also occurred attempting to connect to a 5.x vCenter Server in the environment.Connecting from a desktop, or the web-client on either the vCenter Server or anywhere else for that matter, seems to work without any issues.

I suspect this may be a domain timeout issue. If so is this a matter of changing a default timeout setting somewhere on the vCenter?  

vCenter Server = Server 2012 R2, vCenter 6.0 u2, VI Client 6.0u2 build 3562874 (latest). VI Client log attached

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

To change the timeout settings in the vSphere Client:

1. Click Edit > Client Settings.
  2. Click the General tab.
  3. Under Client-Server Command Timeout, select Use a custom value and enter the new timeout value in seconds.
If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
KPNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I'll test this out throughout the day, however so far it seems to be working.

Following you suggestion I found this KB:

vSphere Client will time out before authentication to ESXi is complete (2072539) | VMware KB

Is there any underlying issue here that would impact on the infrastructure that needs to be addressed or is it purely just the VI client not authenticating in time?

0 Kudos