VMware Cloud Community
vmchr1s
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting error on guest VM

On one of my guest Windows 2008 VMs, there is the following error at 15 minutes past the hour:

The device 'VMware Virtual disk SCSI Disk Device' (SCSI\Disk&Ven_VMware&Prod_Virtual_disk\5&22be343f&0&000100) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

This happens to coincide with the snapshot schedule.  What is this and do we need to be concerned?   I do have an open ticket with VMware support.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
chrisnet46
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same error with VDR. Any feedback from Vmware support ? Microsoft says here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958669 that this message can be ignored but this is for Hyper V.

Chris

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

please attach the vmware.log from the VM that shows this error
I would not ignore it

0 Kudos
chrisnet46
Contributor
Contributor

The last message in the vmware.log for this VM is dated 29/06. Maybe I don't look at the right place or this event is not logged because it's a Microsoft event and not a VMWare event ?

0 Kudos
chrisnet46
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I did a few more tests today. This error only occurs when I clone a Windows 2008 server. There is no error when creating a snapshot whether I choose to quiesce or not  the guest file system.
Can someone clone a Windows 2008 server and let me know the result.
Thanks.
Chris
0 Kudos