VMware Cloud Community
freaky2000
Contributor
Contributor

Interactive install from USB ESXi 4.1

Hi,

anyone know if it's possible to create an interactive!! install from USB with 4.1? This always worked up to (and including) 4.0. Not having it seems like a huge step down.

Seriously, ISO's are so 2004 :smileysilly:.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

rather than USB use Ultimate deployment appliance...

granted ytou need vmware running somewhere first, but you can install something like 8 ESX(i) servers in about 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

All you'd really need to do is create a bootable USB and copy the contents of the ISO - but an automated appliance is so much eaiser 🙂

I have actually idetified 6 deployemnet methods:

Deploy new ESXi instance on the hardware(6 options below)

• UDA (Ultimate Deployment Appliance) -
  • EDA (ESX Deployment appliance) - (0.90 in VMware appliance Marketplace, but 0.94 available)
  • VMware’s own ‘Auto Deploy’
  • SD / USB duplication
  • V-PXEServer
  • Manual installation

I am working through the options and though I have not yet gotten to the  UDA . . I have done write-ups for EDA and V-PXESERVER . . I'll do UDA  some time in the near future.

Have a look at :

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/03/02/upgrading-from-esx-to-esxi-a-multipart-series-intro/   (links for each of the tools Ih ave done at the top of the post)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
freaky2000
Contributor
Contributor

No it's not. Not for my situation.

We frequently use vmware to move servers temporarily to a virtualized environment, this frees up the hardware. So we can redeploy it.

I do this at customers. I can hardly drag a vmware environment around to deploy vmware. CD's get outdated fast and you don't want to know how many times I've burned ESX(i). Also, more and more servers come without optical drives these days. A USB stick is easily dragged along (I have 8 of em) and is faster than CD/DVD too. Can easily create a stick with kickstart, but it is mandatory then to have it autoformat, which I don't really like (it's fine for new servers, but in the situation I want to use them it's easy to screw up like that).

Did I mention that before 4.1 this always worked just fine? The logic is there (kickstart knows how to find the media), but the interactive installer is just retarded in the way that it only looks for installation files on CD media, except when used with kickstart. Tried looking at the initrd that gets passed, but it's an ELF binary, not the usual initrd disk image with just some scripts on it.

From my point of view they killed another perfectly fine feature, with no good reason. Then again, they seem to be getting good at that.

0 Kudos
freaky2000
Contributor
Contributor

[quote]All you'd really need to do is create a bootable USB and copy the  contents of the ISO - but an automated appliance is so much eaiser :-)[/quote]

Really? Show me how that works Smiley Happy. As stated it works fine for 3.5 and 4.0 (obviously you have to run syslinux against the stick and rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg). It does NOT work with 4.1. Installer will load fine, but at the time it actually should start to install it starts whining it can't find the installation files.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Is it an error about not being able to find a system image?

0 Kudos