VMware Cloud Community
easyswiss
Contributor
Contributor

Intel x5670 (six core) identification

Hi,

I have a dual cpu board with one cpu (intel xeon x5670), and a license for 2 cpus (2x6 cores / server). Vmware gives me the error, that i have 8 cores and can not use it, but the x5670 cpu is a six core. What can be wrong? Why do vmware not identify the cpu correct and give me actually only 4 cores to work? (sorry.. bad english)

Tanks for every help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From the licensing point of view, it seems you are clean.

Is your System listed in the VMware HCL for Intel 56xx CPUs?

After installation and before assigning your license key, update the system to the latest patch. See Note #4 on the HCL for this CPU.

4. This server uses a processor series that requires a 4.0 U1 patch (Release Name - ESX400-201002001, Bulletin ID ESX400-201002401-BG / Release Name ESXi400-201002001, Bulletin ID ESXi400-201002401-BG) or newer for full support.

André

0 Kudos
easyswiss
Contributor
Contributor

Ok now i see the cpu, if i click on the vmware image, then i see there are only 4 cpus available for this host and the cpu field is gray... how can i give this host 6 cores?

Marc

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Marc,

can you please clarify where you can see only 4 CPU's?

Can you attach a hardcopy, please.

If you are talking about vSMP, please see Compare vSphere Editions for how many vCPU's you can assign to your VM's depending on the license.

Which licenses do you have?

André

0 Kudos
easyswiss
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached a screenshot.

I have the essentials plus package.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The number of virtual CPU's you can assign to a VM depends on the OS you selected, when you created the VM.

There are some limitations in licensing and support by different OS vendors (like MS).

For example: If you create an XP VM you can only assign 2 vCPU's.

BTW: Don't assign too many vCPU's. Best practice is to assign as many as needed and as less as possible.

André

0 Kudos