VMware Cloud Community
jhonnyeriksson
Contributor
Contributor

Intel Xeon W-2275

Hello,

I tried to search the compability matrix but unable to find any specific details about Intel Xeon W-2275 support for ESXi.

Simple question: Is it supported? (ESXi 5.5)

Thanks, BR

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This is a brand new processor from Intel that was only released last year. It's not going to support an ancient version of ESXi, and why would you want to run a brand new processor in an ancient, end-of-support hypervisor in the first place?

0 Kudos
jhonnyeriksson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply!

Yeh... good question. The reason is that I have a dual boot workstation setup with Windows 10 Pro/ESXi for different purposes. And since I am not in need of any other features than ESXi 5.5 offer (and have all my VMs running) I thought I would just spare some time and keep the same hypervisor installation. At the moment, the server is running on 2xXeon E5-2670v1 CPU/LGA2011 and is therefore limited to 64G/DDR3 RAM. Reason for upgrade is to support more memory (DDR4) and Windows 10 Pro support... although the compability matrix for that as well only extend to Skylake (Xeon)... with few exceptions.

So i guess my real question is... can I find a Intel Xeon CPU that support both ESXi and Windows 10 Pro?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This may help from the VMware side: VMware Compatibility Guide - cpu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
jhonnyeriksson
Contributor
Contributor

Yeh. I was searching for a reference there but it only list the Skylake-W processors (Xeon W-2100) and not the newer Cascade Lake-W (Xeon W-2200). My guess is that it's because the Cascade Lake was released in Q42019 and is therefore still too new to be included. Same thing can be said about Microsoft (Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10?) which also does not include the Cascade Lake.

Since the W-2200 is the successor of the W-2100 series one might think that it should be supported... at least on the newer versions.

Have anyone tried the W-2200 with ESXi?

0 Kudos