VMware Cloud Community
lukeren
Contributor
Contributor

Intel RAID Web Console 2 and ESXi4

In the manual for my SRCSASBB8I there's guidelines for installing the RAID Web Console 2 on ESXi 3.5u2, but I'm running ESXi 4.0.

Is there any way to get it running on 4.0? Or is there another way to monitor my arrays in case of failures or other things?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

I guess the same way as it is for 3i. In fact it is not installed on ESX 3i but on a different Windows or Linux host:

"The Intel® RAID Web Console 2 server part cannot be installed directly in VMWare ESX 3i.

Management is performed through Intel® RAID Web Console 2 installed on a remote machine

(Linux/Windows)."

If you read further you see that it is installed inside a guest running on ESXi. Have you tried that already?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
lukeren
Contributor
Contributor

That's the installation instructions for ESX, not ESXi.

I'm guessing you're quoting http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/d29305013_raid_swg.pdf ?

If you scroll down further in the document, there's installation instructions for ESXi 3.5u2 that involve using the console.

I'm not sure whether or not this procedure works with ESXi 4, which is why I posted the question.

There's no mention of where to get the source lib from either, so the instructions are very vague.

Ultimately, what I want is simply to monitor the arrays. If there's any other way to do that, I'll be happy to use that.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm, running that on ESXi seems not to be the "preferred" solution:

"The updated Storelib library in the /lib directory does not persist across reboots. Each time you restart the VMWare host, you have to follow this procedure to replace the Storelib library."

From my understanding you can run it on ESXi but you aslo can run it within a guest. So why don't you try that?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
lukeren
Contributor
Contributor

You can run it within a guest OS yes, but it still requires a component installed on the host. The manual doesn't cover that part of it, it just says:

"The Intel® RAID Web Console 2 server part cannot be installed directly in VMWare ESX 3i. Management is performed through Intel® RAID Web Console 2 installed on a remote machine Linux/Windows). The Linux installer of Intel® RAID Web Console 2 works under console with minimal changes. Hardware RAID is currently supported in ESX 3.x."

The way I read this, is that the management component needs to be installed on the host, and you can then manage it via remote from either a guest OS or another computer all together. It's just not documented.

0 Kudos
piotr77
Contributor
Contributor

Any update here? I really wish my SRCSATAWB could be managed by web gui again. My wife seems not to understand why I have to go to the office mid-night to "work on the array". Please help just for the sake of my marriage. 😉

I tried to install the library ESXI 3.5 way but it seems not to work. Or is it just for my poor skills.

0 Kudos
beerwatch
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

as far as I can understand, all you need is a CIM (CIMOM) server component (or a driver?) on the ESXi installed and active. I suppose it is a part of ESXi 4.0U1 as the Windows RWC2 version 2.91 worked fine against that ESXi version on the LAN segment. If your hardware allows, try to run the 4.0 from USB for test. Recently I upgraded to ESXi4.1 and no luck with RWC 2.9 or 8.16 anymore. Google brought no result, also asked here at forums.

B-

0 Kudos
mmilis
Contributor
Contributor

Any update here?

0 Kudos