VMware Cloud Community
Netmon1
Contributor
Contributor

Intel PRO/100 not supported in 4.0?

I was booting 3.5 update 4 off a USB drive with an Intel PRO/100 and all was well. I installed 4.0 on the USB drive and now when it boots I get "failed to load lvmdriver". Is the Intel PRO/100 not supported anymore in 4.0?

If not, what would be the cheapest gigabit PCI NIC I could get that is compatiable with 4.0?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

100MB support has been removed in 4. Have a look at the HCL to find a supported card. You could check on the http://vm-help.com site for a list of un-supported but supportable cards as well.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
ehinkle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware is going the microsoft route and virtually forcing you to upgrade your hardware to run the new os. That sucks for those that cannot afford to purchase new hardware.:(

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There is no forced upgrade. 3.5 is still available, supported and appropriate for older hardware, At some point, trying to support all the available hardware becomes unworkable. Doing everything means you can't do anything well.

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

>At some point, trying to support all the available hardware becomes unworkable.

it´s actually a difference between SUPPORTING something and entirely removing a driver which worked for years

>Doing everything means you can't do anything well.

do you dare posting this message on LKML (Linux Kernel Mailing List) ?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

And ESXi doesn't support 32 bit. Worked well for years. What's the point. ESXi is small and doesn't support every piece of hardware known to man. It is intended to be a virtualization OS. Not a general purpose OS like LINUX. Real servers haven,t uses 100mbit for years. Time to move on. Make room for current technology and drop the old.

What does this have to do with rhe linux kernel?????

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

>What does this have to do with rhe linux kernel?????

the linux people ARE doing well, even with supporting pre-dinosaur hardware.

anyway, it`s not a big problem as gbit nics are cheap and if you need one for your home setup, you go buy one for $20.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

And some day someone will be having this same conversation and saying "well the 10GE cards are only $20" :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos