VMware Cloud Community
Piet200
Contributor
Contributor

Intel ICH10R - Raid 1 - ESXi 5

It seems that the ICH10R raid controller is software based and needs to be supported by the OS of the system.

I configured a raid 1 volume, but it won't become active since it isn't supported on the OS.

Is there a way to get this working under ESXi 5 ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The drivers that come with ESXi don't support software RAID.  One would need to develop their own driver for this and I don't believe anyone has come up an ICH driver that supports RAID.

0 Kudos
Fatalglitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Most ICH10R Raid setups are either within the BIOS of the machine, or you have to hit F8 when prompted during the bootup, before ESXi starts booting. Check your motherboard manufacturer's documentation on how to configure it.

Tom Callahan, TESSCO Technologies Inc., 410-709-8662
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@Fatalglitch

It may certainly work to configure the RAID in the system's BIOS (F8), however it won't be recognized in ESXi.

André

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Setup is done via the BIOS,  but RAID functionality is implemented in a software driver.

0 Kudos
gmartin123
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, the setup is done through BIOS, do you know if I can install drivers after ESXi installation?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

gmartin123 wrote:

Hello, the setup is done through BIOS, do you know if I can install drivers after ESXi installation?

Thanks in advance

like Dave.Mishchenko said, it will not work even if you try to inject the drivers ebcause you ahve a software raid.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos