VMware Cloud Community
kdavisb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Insufficient space on datastore

I created a w2k8 server VM. I attached a second virtual drive to it in the vsphere client determined I gave it too much space. I went back in the vshere client and clicked remove. Now when I go to add a second drive with the correct amount of space I want t use I get the error Insufficient space on datastore. I did notice that the old vdmk file still exist but was not sure how to proceed. This is an ESX 5 environment and the datastore is on SAN. The space on the windows server is listed as unallocated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to VMware community. Well I would browse the datastore and make sure there is not vmdk files sitting there that should other wise not be there. Have a go at this and feedback your findings.

Best wishes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to VMware community. Well I would browse the datastore and make sure there is not vmdk files sitting there that should other wise not be there. Have a go at this and feedback your findings.

Best wishes.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

when you remove a virtual disk from a VM you have the option to only remove the virtual disk from the VM's configuration or select the option to delete it the from disk. If you didn't select the "Delete from disk" option the virtual disk is still in the VM's folder (by default) with a name like "<vmname>_1.vmdk". What you can do is to delete this virtual disk using the Datastore Browser or edit the VM's settings, add the virtual disk again choosing the "Add existing virtual disk" option and then remove it from the VM's hardware with selecting the above mentioned option.

André

0 Kudos
kdavisb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Browsing the datastore and deleting the old vdmk did the trick. Thanks for your assistance

0 Kudos
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Glad to be of help and thanks for letting me know this issue is now resolved.

Best wishes.

0 Kudos