VMware Cloud Community
feargalr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Insufficient licences to create a second VM with more than 8 cores?

So we have a machine with 4 physical sockets, with 16 cores on each. We bought 4 vmware standard licences. Now we saw early on that the max number of cores we could assign to a virtual machine was 32, which isn't really a big issue, 32 is plenty for our needs. So we have one 32 core virtual machine currently running and some other smaller ones, but now when I try to create another virtual machine with more than 8 cores I'm being told that I have insufficient licences.

Can anyone provide further information on this? If I can create one vm with more than 8 cores, why can't I create another?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It says Licensed for 4 physical CPUs, so it's all ok, it's using your Standard licenses.

During the 60 day evaluation you were able to create larger VMs, because the 60 days run with Enterprise Plus features. Now that you use standard licenses, you can only create 8 vCPU VMs.

Solution:

You should upgrade to ESXi 5.5. Your licenses will also work for 5.5 and you will be able to create VMs with up to 64 vCPUs.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

what ESXi version are you running?

For ESXi 5.1 standard license the max vCPU is 8 per VM

In ESXi 5.5 this restriction is gone and you can configure up to 64 vCPU per VM, depending on how many logical cores your host has.

Regards

feargalr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1

But we already have a VM with 32 cores, which is why I'm confused as to why I can't create another.

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, as said 8 cores should be max with your license.

Check your license tab if your host really uses all 4 licenses or if it has assigned the 60 day evaluation period on some sockets.

feargalr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We're not on the 60 day period, but we would have been when we set up the large virtual machine we have. I'm not sure how to check which sockets have licences, when I go to configuration and then under licence features theres....

VMware vSphere 5 Standard Licensed for 4 physical CPUs  (unlimited cores per CPU)

The 60 day period is up. Could it be that after the 60 day period went up that some of the sockets just reverted to the free version, while others are using our licence, which is what causing the problem? If so could you give me any pointers on how to fix this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It says Licensed for 4 physical CPUs, so it's all ok, it's using your Standard licenses.

During the 60 day evaluation you were able to create larger VMs, because the 60 days run with Enterprise Plus features. Now that you use standard licenses, you can only create 8 vCPU VMs.

Solution:

You should upgrade to ESXi 5.5. Your licenses will also work for 5.5 and you will be able to create VMs with up to 64 vCPUs.

Regards

0 Kudos
feargalr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome. Thanks man.

0 Kudos