VMware Cloud Community
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Insufficient disk space on datastore

Hi all,

I am facing a strange problem when I resize a VMDK.

When I trying to increase the size of VMDK of a runing VM, it got a error dialog Insufficient disk space on datastore "". I have checked the datastore have enough disk space and I can add a new VMDK in other VMs. Any idea on it? Also why the dialog not show the datstore name? I have done it before without any problem.

Martin

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

How big is the LUN?

How big is the datastore?

What version of vSphere?

What version of vmfs?

How do you try to expand the datastore?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Linjo,

The LUN size is 7.8 TB

The Datastore size is 7.8 TB free space is 830 GB

I am using vSphere 5.1

VMFS version 5

I am trying to increase 50 GB to a VMDK not datastore. So I don't know why this error prompt out.

Martin

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

How big is the VMDK?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Linjo,

The VMDK is 410 GB

Martin

0 Kudos
katepalli
Contributor
Contributor

How are you trying to expand the VMDK? I mean are you using GUI or vmkfstool?

If you are trying from GUI, try with that tool with VM powered off.

Chk whether any old or unwanted VMDK resided in datastore if so try to delete them.

Balraj Katepalli
0 Kudos
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using GUI to resize the VMDK. Do you mean I can resize the VMDK using vmkfstool during the VM is running?

Checked there is no old or resided VMDK in datastore

Martin

0 Kudos
katepalli
Contributor
Contributor

No you can't resize the VMDK when power on VM with vmkfstool. Try it with this tool after power off the VM.

Balraj Katepalli
0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I know this is a silly question but what is the block size on the VMFS volume? It will be 1 MB if data store was created as VMFS5 but could be something different if VMFS was upgraded from VMFS3.

Thanks and kind regards.

0 Kudos
katepalli
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, as Thomps said, have you upgraded that vm or VMDK from any privious versions?

Balraj Katepalli
0 Kudos
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VMFS is native VMFS5. Not upgrade from VMFS3.

Martin

0 Kudos
katepalli
Contributor
Contributor

Have u try with vmkfstool?

Balraj Katepalli
0 Kudos
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not yet. I have to schedule a shutdown of the server. Will update if I done that.

Martin

0 Kudos
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Finally figured out what is the problem. The VMDK is currently 1.8TB but the size not reflect in the GUI. GUI still show the disk size is 410 GB. Therefore I cannot increase the size of the VMDK any more. But why the GUI cannot get the correct size? Do I have to restart the VM?

Martin

0 Kudos