VMware Cloud Community
EyKeule
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Instant Clone - A stupid question

Hey,

I'm in the process of setting up vSphere 6 in my lab. The key feature I'd like to see is Instant Clone. In order to prepare myself for running some test cases I've been looking for some documentation. Unfortunately I only could find it being mentioned within the vSphere 6 What's New Guide, but nowhere within the Admin Guides. Could someone please point me to a technical document discussing the feature and how to use it?

Most likely I'm missing something very obvious.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
akodenkiri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey,

Probably following article might help you to get more information on instant-clone

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2014/10/07/project-fargo-aka-vmfork-what-is-it/

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards ak
0 Kudos
EyKeule
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for the link. The article answers my question about how it works, but unfortunately it does not discuss how to use it. By this I mean how can I "instantly" clone a VM?

I've vSphere 6 up and running in a two-node cluster now and I've played with the console a bit, but I cannot find any indication of Instant Clones anywhere...

What am I missing?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's a good question, and one I've looked into here

At the very least indications are Instant Clone has been scaled back somewhat, scope is now solely for EUC and Big Data but still no sign of it yet in vSphere, Horizon or BDE.

Time will tell if and when Instant Clone will make an appearance, as yet though it appears no-one can track the feature down...

0 Kudos