VMmouse
Contributor
Contributor

Installing vmware tools causes an application to actually work

Jump to solution

Yes, you read the subject right!

The vm was Windows 8.1 Pro and now is 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit.

In either instance when vmware tools is installed an education program called Mad Minutes works as expected. The moment vmware tools is uninatalled the program fails to run properly, and the system doesn't have to be rebooted to see the effects.

Mad Minutes looks like it is built against some sort of Netscape/Mozilla platform.

What happens is interface doesn't display data from what ever database is being used and certain elements of the interface are inactive.

The same actually applies to actual computers. As part of troubleshooting why the progam runs on Windows 8 Tablet Edition and not 8.1 (I have yet to try on an actual win 8 vm) I thought to create a vm so I could quickly change OS.

The VMs did not have updates applied to them, but updates did not make a difference.

As far as VMtools goes, I uninstalled individual components and the software continued to run. To remove items from the tools install I would run the installer and choose modify then select the option to not use. If the modification required a reboot then I would do so, the applicaton would still run.

I even got as far as having every option set to do not use. And I mean every item even tools itself, Mad Minutes still ran. It was not until I go to Add/Remove programs to uninstall VMtools, the program stopped working as expected.

When I contacted the Mad Minute folks they said it has been an issue that also randomly does it on Windows 7.

As you can see this is quite a puzzle indeed, so I am reaching out to see if the community might be able to figure this out.

Message was edited by: VMmouse

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VMmouse
Contributor
Contributor

WOOOOT!!!!

I'm doing the happy dance!

VMWareTools installs an old version of a runtime distributable!!!!!

Installing .NET 1.1 and then copying MSVCR71.dll to the syswow64, and then re-running Mad Minutes after being copied off the network to a local area got it going.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

I am not familiar with the application you mentioned, but I know when you uninstall VMware tools, it uninstalls any VMware drivers, so your VM most likely looses network connectivity.  This could be why it stops working. 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
VMmouse
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, because to run the application I go to the UNC path, the network stack is working fine. I even did a custom install and not installed the video, NIC and various drivers within and it still worked.

But good thinking.

0 Kudos
VMmouse
Contributor
Contributor

As an addition observation.

I ran the installer and while the installer was doing its thing, I clicked Uninstall, I was able to run Mad Minutes, after the installer was done but not before clicking finish the application stopped working; that is I closed the application then opened it back up. One other thing, I copied the application to the local desktop and it ran when tools was installed but as with the previous note it stopped working after Tools was uninstalled.

What in the world is Tools installing behind the scenes; if anything?  Is it installing some dependency that doesn't show up in any location?  This is truly bizarre.

As far as Mad Minutes goes; it uses XULrunner 1.8.x, developed by Netscape/Mozilla. It also uses bits of Java as I see jar files in its file paths and of course it uses javascript files, and supporting DLLs.

In the VM I do not have Java installed; nor anything Netscapish or Firefoxish.

I know this is neither the Netscape or firefox forums, but darn I just don't get why VMware tools gets things going. Gaaah!

0 Kudos
VMmouse
Contributor
Contributor

WOOOOT!!!!

I'm doing the happy dance!

VMWareTools installs an old version of a runtime distributable!!!!!

Installing .NET 1.1 and then copying MSVCR71.dll to the syswow64, and then re-running Mad Minutes after being copied off the network to a local area got it going.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos